What's new

AV HUB/Splitter (1 Viewer)

brandon_

Agent
Looking for an AV hub that allows you to connect your Audio/video devices to one hub. Preferably, would like to have component and HDMI connections. Anyone aware of something like this? Reason for it is that I am running out of connection room. Only have two component connections on my KDFE55A20. DVD has one out, so does the Xbox. My receiver doesn’t have any. Will be getting HD Dish network in the coming days, so that could affect this as well.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Score (a.k.a. Pelican) System Selector Pro 2.0 handles five-in-one component video. It also switches digital audio (three coax, three optical) and has a sixth composite/S-video connection on the front panel. You can control it through remote control, which means you can incorporate it into macros on a Harmony remote (or another universal remote). It ranges from $80-$100.

I've heard there are HDMI switchers...don't know of one offhand.

- Steve

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gefen.com makes HDMI switchers. Some are HDMI in tod DVI & audio out. They run around $300 and run from 2 in to 1 out to 6 in/4 out - I think.

Glenn

brandon_

Agent
Is the pelican a piece? i have heard of some video signal loss. did a quick search for switchers and came accross the JVC JXS111. semms like a good system. anything you can hook a laptop up to and convert the signal to the TV so it looks good (like a DVI input)? My sony doesnt have DVI input.

Brandon Hines

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Hines

I know this is an old thread, but I figured that it would be bumping this rather than creating a new one. Anyway.

I'm looking for a HD A/V selector and am have had a tough time finding something resonable that isn't part of a reciever. I have my eye on this scaler/slector. Right now I'm in need of more optical inputs, but extra HDMI will be nice. It doesn't hurt that my DVDs get upscaled either, hehe. Anyway, I know this particular unit isn't out yet, but what does everyone think of the Gefen name?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Interesting that you mention this. I currently have a Gefen 2x2 HDMI switcher that apparently doesn't work as advertised. It is supposedly HDCP compliant and runs off its own power supply. At over $300 it wasn't exactly inexpensive. The problem is that if I switch from one video display (like my RPM) to another (like my FP) it won't pass through the video signal until I physically remove power from the switch by unplugging the power supply. Then it works about 75% of the time - until the next day when the whole cycle starts up again. I talked to Gefen about this at CEDIA and they mentioned that there have been several firmware updates so far - but the problem remains. I'm still working on this one (Gefen replaced the unit one time already but the problem is still there.)

Hopefully I'll get this solved and will report on my findings as soon as I do. The basic problem, I believe, is that if you intend to use a device to switch between two or more displays you really need a "Repeater" and not a simple "switch" for HDMI. Otherwise you may run into problems. I've been in contact with one of the inventors of the HDMI standard (Jano Banks of Radiient Technologies) and he agrees with my assessment of this. In my opinion, if your needs don't require sending a signal out to more than one display then your success rate with HDMI should be much higher. I will be beta testing a new 1x6 repeater in about a month or so and will have a more definitive answer then. At that point I'll probably start a new thread regarding HDMI switches vs. repeaters since this will be something of interest to a growing segment of the HT community.

Brandon Hines

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Hines

Well, I have multiple sources going into one display, not the other way around. But please keep us posted. I'm interested to hear in any experience with the company's products before I drop a serious chunk of change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks