What's new

AV-HTB -vs- SX-HTB : Really much difference? (1 Viewer)

Hello all. I've just found this site in the past few days and it's been an incredible find for me. I've read alot of good information (Bose sucks! LOL).

Having said all that, I've decided that I'm going to get the Fluance AV-HTB or SX-HTB. I've read posts saying the SX-HTB are better, but I'm wanting someone's first hand opinion as to why. I've looked at the specs, and as a newbie, it seems the AV actually has some better specs. For instance, I like the fact the AV has a woofer, midrange, and a tweeter instead of just dual-woofers and a tweeter (seems you'd lose midrange without a mid speaker). Also, the AV's mains are rated down to 38Hz while the SX's mains are rated at 49Hz.

I did see the SX's mains can be bi-wired/bi-amped, but I've also read alot saying it's more of a marketing gimmick than an improvement on the sound. Comments are welcome on this topic too.

Personally I like the look of the wood better, but I just wanted everyone's opinion on if there is really that much of a difference between the two.

TIA,
Mike W.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I was hoping Mike would get some responses - I have the same questions!

Maybe it's hard to get good answers because I doubt that many people have had the chance to make the comparison. (Why would someone buy BOTH the AV and the SX?)

I agree that the SX looks better, but if there's little or no difference in sound...

Well, just so you know, I went ahead and ordered the SX set. Received them earlier this week. We're preparing to move from our apartment to a house this next week, so I simply unpacked the speakers and tested them to make sure they worked, there was no obvious damage, etc, then packed them back as they were when I got them.

Just FYI, the few posts I read from people that had heard both said the SX as a little better than the AV, but it's a toss up as to whether or not that justifies the $60 price difference.

Strangely enough, if you look at the specs, it seems the AV mains have a slightly better freq. response, but I guess that there maybe other things involved (like a flatter response over the freq. range, etc).

Oh well, personally I think if someone gets the AVs or SXs, either way, they're getting a great sound for the buck!

Mike W.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks