What's new

AV Advice (1 Viewer)

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for advice in purchasing an AV receiver. Years ago I had a twin power HK and loved it. Upgrading speakers, I had to sell it and bought a Yamaha stereo receiver - looked good, but sounded flat. When it died, I went back to a HK stereo receiver. The local shops talk down on HK, and advise Integra, Onkyo, or Yamaha. Anyone have any input? It's for a hearth room, 16X16 - tall ceilings. Also open to "out of sight" speaker advice. Small with a sub, or in wall with a sub. Thanks for any advice.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I don't know why the salesman are talking down the HK's over the Onkyo or Yamaha. I can't speak to the Integra but hear good things about them. I think you need to go with what sounds best and since you like the HK's, I would really go for the HK vs. Integra sound test- try using the same speakers and making sure you are listening to your favorite music flat and at the same volumes. I would go HK over Onkyo or Yamaha because I like it for music better than the other two, and trust HK's power rating of their systems. More bells and whistles you may get with the Onkyo or Yamaha, however for less money- so if that's important (the bells and whistles, not the money) than you need to factor those options in. Frankly, in the end, I think the speakers are the most important thing to invest in, anyway. Some hear will say "for music go HK, for HT go Yamaha" or something like that- I say- "it's all music, so go with what sounds best with music."

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jose - I will let you know what I find. Any suggestions on the speakers? All wood floors and windows a lot! Thanks.

DonJ

Second Unit
Let me start with I love my H/K 320, right now I'm listening to the LOTR sound track in logic 7 just to hear it a little differently than 2 channel stereo and it sounds awesome. IMO Hands down H/K has the best sound in the receiver market and the only way to get better sound is to move to separates. I agree with Jose "it's all music, so go with what sounds best with music."

As for speakers I have all Paradigm Monitors right now.
Monitor 9 mains
Mini monitor rears
CC370 center
and the PS1000 sub
the only thing I would change would be the sub I'm upgrading to the PW2200. The system is great bank for buck. People come over and are amazed by what they hear. If you looking in that price range I would go for it. But they also have there higher end Studio series which are great speakers I was going to upgrade to those but I still haven't reached the full potential with these as of yet. I love my H/K but I'm going to move to Anthem Separates and then build a 2 channel system using Musical Fidelity components and B&W Nautilus 800 speakers.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I know the speakers that Don has are very good. There are others much better qualified to give you speaker info, but in the end, it's what "you" hear that's important. There are a lot of, in my opnion, over priced speakers out there for some people's needs. Unfortunately, the sound any speaker produces will depend on the room acoustics- so the best place to demo them is in your home. Try to buy speakers that can give you a 20-30 day return policy if you don't like them once you listen to them at home. Do a search hear for speakers and you will get a lot of good info and factor in speaker wire and such into your budget. Look into audioreview.com cnet.com ecoustics.com for good reviews on speakers. Good luck!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I know the speakers that Don has are very good. There are others much better qualified to give you speaker info, but in the end, it's what "you" hear that's important. There are a lot of, in my opnion, over priced speakers out there for some people's needs. Unfortunately, the sound any speaker produces will depend on the room acoustics- so the best place to demo them is in your home. Try to buy speakers that can give you a 20-30 day return policy if you don't like them once you listen to them at home. Do a search hear for speakers and you will get a lot of good info and factor in speaker wire and such into your budget. Look into audioreview.com cnet.com ecoustics.com for good reviews on speakers. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks