What's new

AV-9000 Owners, Help Please! (1 Viewer)

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there!

When I listen to CD's, I hear a tremendous improvement when I listen in 2 channel mode, with the Bypass on. (I have found that with bypass off, the soundtsage is MUCH narrower, and the sound muddied) Anyway, it will retain the 2 Channel choice when I switch back, but every time I switch back to CD, I have to "re-choose" bypass.

Is there something I am missing to make bypass always on when going to CD?

thanks!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dave,

For the 8-9 months that I owned the AV-9000, I could never get it to remember the Source Direct mode for my CD input. I also got tired of traversing the remote menus just to get the AV-9000 back into Source Direct mode. I ended up reprogramming one of the buttons at the bottom of the remote to be Source Direct (the Guide button, I believe).

The odd part is I owned the Marantz SR-8000 receiver before owning the AV-9000, and the SR-8000 would remember the Source Direct mode for any input that it was selected for.

The only other suggestion I have, if you are using another remote like the Pronto, would be to program the CD select button to select the CD input, then switch to Source Direct mode. I wish I could be of more help.

Michael

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:

That is what I was thinking of doing, unless there was some secret command I did not know about. Seems as if there is no "secret", it just does not do that at all- thanks for confirming.

BTW, did you notice a "tremendous" difference between the two modes?

dave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dave - My AV9000 doesn't "remember" Direct mode on the CD input either. I also got around it by programming a button on my Pronto.

As for major differences between Direct mode and regular 2 channel with the sub, no, I do NOT see the huge difference in soundstage that you are describing.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Doug:

NBoy, I do (see a difference). Is it because I have my speakers set to small, and direct sets them to large (since it take out the bass management?)

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Dave,

You don't mention what speakers you have.

Certainly there can be a substantial difference in what you hear depending on the low frequency response of your front main speakers and their positioning. In non-direct mode, with the speakers set to "small", the AV-9000's bass management redirects frequencies below 80Hz to its subwoofer output. Of course, the bass crossover isn't a "brick wall" -- frequencies above 80Hz get to the subwoofer at a reduced volume while frequencies below 80Hz go to the main speakers at a reduced volume.

Most subwoofers do a much better job of reproducing the low frequencies than all but the best full-range floor standing speakers. Subwoofer positioning can be quite important in most rooms because of the standing waves setup by the low frequencies. There are many fewer options in the locations of your front main speakers, which can cause problems for the low frequencies they emit.

Also, even when set "flat," my understanding is that the AV-9000's tone controls still have a slight effect on the sound.

I have to admit that I very seldom use direct mode on my AV-9000. I usually leave it in THX/Prologic mode. Certainly the difference is quite noticable, but it isn't always obvious which is "better". (I have NHT 2.9 front speakers, so they have a respectable low frequency response.)

I hope this clarifies things a little.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Selden:

Sorry about that oversight! I have Paradigm Stud 60 (v2), and a SVS PC 39 (the Powered one, right?)

The difference I hear is not TONE at all (and that is the weird thing!) With Bypass off- that is, going through the tone controls, the sound is much more closed in. The soundtsage is compressed, and sounds are a bit muffled. When I turn the Bypass on, the whole thing opens up- airy, wide soundstage, more clarity, precise placement of insturments...

Sorry, I should have included more specifics!

Boy, it is night and day, the difference. Also, it is apparent in both the Digital and analogue outs of my CD (Sony ES Something or other). Personally, I like the analogue a bit more, too (is that strange?)

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Dave,

I think the improvement in your soundstage suggests that there is a slight reduction in cross-talk when bypass is selected.

My understanding, from previous discussions with people who ought to know, is that when the direct mode is selected, analog inputs completely bypass the digital processor.
Only the pre/pro's analog circuitry is involved from input to output, although this isn't mentioned in the manual. As a result, your experience would suggest that your CD player's digital-to-analog conversion is somewhat better than that in your AV-9000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks