AV-3 Roundover bit

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Nick Hallett, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

For Brian or Hank or whomever....

What size of a roundover bit do you use for the sides of the AV-3 cabinets? also, it seems like it would be a fairly large bit and I don't have a variable speed router. It's a 2.5 HP Makita, so I've got plenty of power. I don't know if I should be spinning a 2" bit at 22,000 RPM though... is this a problem? Thanks.

2. Paul His

Paul His Agent

You have a valid concern - that is definitely higher than recommended speed for a bit of that diameter.

I have not used a separate speed control for a router but they are available - do a google search for "router speed control" and go to first response at mlcswoodworking to see what I mean.

Paul

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Nick, I didn't round over the newest A/V-3's, but I have rounded over nearly all the cabs I've built. For monitors and towers, I've used a 3/4" radius roundover bit. Is your bit 2" radius? I have a 1 1/4" radius bit, and it is BIG. A 2", cutting deep enough to leave a smooth transition on the baffle and adjacent side, would leave about 1/4" of MDF between the outside middle of the rounded corner and the inside corner of the baffle/adjacent side joint corner. You could brace the inside of that joint with a 1" x 1". BUT, the mid-woofs are about 1" in from the baffle edges. A 2" radius transitioning smoothly into the baffle would begin rounding the baffle about 1 3/4" in from the baffle edges. It will not work. Draw it on graph paper - that's what I just did while writing this response. A 3/4" radius is esthetically pleasing and will allow you to wrap one piece of veneer from one side, across the baffle and around the other side.
    If you're not talking about a 2" radius bit, but a bit that is 2" overall diameter, then ignore my post.
    You should crank down the router speed a bit, and the aftermarket speed controller will be fine.

4. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

Hank, I meant 2" diameter just as an arbitrary figure for a large bit. I havn't got a roundover bit yet, or the AV3 kit yet for that matter...

I'm just trying to think what else I need before I start ordering. 3/4" roundover, new spiral upcut, 3 phase powermatic table saw...[​IMG] Thanks

5. Paul His

Paul His Agent

Now you're just being silly - you can get away with a single phase powermatic [​IMG]

Paul

6. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

Yeah yeah, I'm pretty happy with my cute little folding Ryobi[​IMG]

7. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

A 3/4" roundover will require a 1/2" collet and a speed control on the router. I was afraid mine would take my hand off until I tried turning the speed down. If you only have a 1/4" collet, a 1/2" roundover should be fine.

Tables saws should not be cute.