AV 15 project to replace my Tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Darren_T, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I currently have in my possession an AV15 and two 18" PR's. (got a deal from a friend with second thoughts) My thoughts are to build the 22" cube and use a Pro amp rated around 1k watts. Has anyone done this? I know Martice has had one built similarly. I'm just interested in what others have done with the AV 15 and PR's. I'll be building this one out of 1.25" MDF and want a small enclosure to replace my monster 214L Tempest.

Oh, I'm mostly HT but listen to music also quite a bit. My personal opinion is that the PR'd design will be more musical anyway.

Any thoughts on a 1kwatt amp? I know it's overkill but I wanted to have an amp that could grow with my growing demand for bass in my HT.

Darren

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

What Fb and Vb are you planning?

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I have some thoughts on a 1KW pro amp. The main thought is that you'll be destroying the driver pretty quickly with that much power.

And I second Jack's question: Why?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

To me a PR'd design sounds more musical because it more closely approximates a sealed enclsoure sound. Much more so than a ported design. Since a sealed enclosure sounds more musical than a ported enclosure to my ears I tend to like PR'd designs because of their tighter bass.

Let's talk about this though. My experience with ported designs is limited as I have never owned one. I have listened to a couple but haven't had much time with them. I'm going off of initial observations. I want a -3db point somewhere in the low 20's before the room response is taken into consideration because of my HT needs. My initial reason for going with PR's is the size of the box can be really small but I don't want to sacrifice much in performance.

I'm not really comfortable dealing with a LT to get a sealed enclosure low enough either. But am open for discussion on the topic [​IMG]

Darren

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

8. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I really think it's all about the alignment. A small ported or PR'd enclosure will sound quite different than a larger one. I think you'd find the 214L ported enclosure to have lower group delay and more approximate the sound of a sealed sub than a 4ft^3 PR'd enclosure. My dad's 175L DVC 15" sub is one of the most "musical" subs I've ever heard.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Here is a thought. I can build as many enclosures as it takes for me to get where I want to be so this leads me to my next question.

Since I'm a woodworker and far from a speaker designer who enjoys audio and HT, tell me what you'd do to achieve my objectives knowing I have an AV15 and two 18" PR's (may or may not get used).

I currently have a Tempest 214L ported enclosure with 250watts. It sounds great but I want a bit more output/overhead and a bit higher quality bass. I got a good deal on the AV15 from a friend who had a change of heart for his sub.

I'm 70% home theater but do enjoy music. I want to reach low with good authority, don't want boom of course and it must blend well with my AV1+'s.

My current plan was to build the 22" PR'd cube. I can build whatever though. I really prefer a smaller enclosure but don't want to sacrifice too much performance so larger is an option.

Opinions?

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

http://stryke.com/AVseries.html

Stryke suggests a 24" cube with two 1600g PR for a 21Hz F3. How's that? What's the Mms on the PR's you've got?

I'd go with 250 liters tuned to 18Hz with a 6" flared port. Maybe dual 4" ports.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,

I didn't say that a ported sub is more musical than a sealed one, but it is possible. My dad's 175L DVC 15" will be much more accurate than a sealed sub with a Qtc=.8 or higher. So again, it's all about the alignment.

Also, since you're 70% HT, I think I'd stick with your current plan and do the 22" cube with dual PR's.

Jack,

I built a 225L enclosure with dual 4" ports tuned to around 20Hz. I think the customer was quite pleased with the sound. IIRC, he felt it sounded better for music than his SVS 20-39 CS's but didn't have the same impact above 20Hz as the SVS'.

15. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

16. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Looking at the stryke site once again I found something a bit strange. The Response graph for the PR/Vented alignments list a 5cuft box with an F3 of 21Hz but statistics listed on the page with the link to the graph show a 24" cube with an F3 of 21Hz. I know a 24" cube isn't 5 cubic feet.

I'm not positive but I think my PR's are 1600g. I haven't got a reply from John at Stryke on that. I bought them from my friend quite a while ago and can't recall. I'll have to try and contact him also but I'm going on the assumption that they are 1600g since that is what I seem to recall.

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I'd e-mail or call John to clarify. I personally find refences to cube dimensions annoying for the purpose of discussing alignments, I'd rather reference the actual Vb and leave it to simple geometry and the builder to arrive at the box.

18. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

20. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit