AV 12 physical size measurements?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have the physical measurements of an AV12? I'm wondering how much of a direct drop-in replacement it would be for my Stryke SAE1204.

I'm most interested in the cutout size, flange depth, etc., and the actual depth of the driver itself. (I have a brace I have to clear if I swap out drivers)

Thanks-

Wes Nance

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hey Wes,

[​IMG]

Referring to the diagram above, my AV12 measures a hair under 7" front-to-back ("C") with a diameter ("A") of 12& 7/16". Tough to measure the cutout diameter, but mine fits perfectly in the cutout done for a Dayton 12" DVC (in which "B" = 11").

What's the Vb of your box again? The AV12 looks amazing in 90L or so with two of those Stryke 15" PR.

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Wes,

Both the AV12 and SAE1204 would have the same 11" hole diameter. The AV12 because of the rubber gasket would be a little larger countersink though. I cut the holes to be 12.5", just over the 12 7/16" that Jack stated. I like to have enough room to get the gasket in.

John

4. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Can anyone provide similar information for the AV15? I've been looking everywhere for that information! Thanks.

5. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Richard,

The cutout would be 14 1/16" and the countersink is 15 5/8". I usually just make the countersink 15 3/4" or it's hard to get the gasket in.

John

6. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Thanks, I was thinking I might never find out. But what I'd really love to know is the total depth of the speaker... from front gasket to back plate, the whole shebang.

Got a ruler handy? [​IMG]

7. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Jack,

My box is a 3ft^3, or I think around 80l. I'm building a sealed sub to go with a pair of MBOW1's (Dennis Murphy's version of GR-research AV-1, but with an OW1 for a tweet), so I thought that would be good duty for my Stryke SAE1204, which is pretty much a DVC clone, and good in a small sealed box, and also use the PE amp for that as well.

Do you think it would be OK to put that rythm audio 350watt plate amp for the AV12 with my 15" PR's weighted to around 1350 or so? Or does it need a lot more power. . .

My home theater is based on black, natural maple veneer and brushed aluminum for my flexy and speaker stands, so I thought the cone on the AV12 would look really cool. (and sound amazing. . .)

Wes

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

JAck,

Which alignment do you prefer the most the Shiva EBS or the stryke one with PR's.

Thanks,