What's new

AV-12 MKII, 3 cu-ft PR thunder or EBS? (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
I am thinking on building one of these enclosure for the AV-12 MKII. What are the pros and cons of each alignment?
any first hand experience would be helpful.
Thanks.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
EBS of course give the higher output at lowest frequencies. That's what they're designed to do.

PR's allow a smaller box. They too can be tuned quite low.

For a freestanding box I prefer ported over PR's. To my ears the inner details of PR based subs aren't as clear/accurate as a true ported design.

I used to have a link to a website where a study was done using a Peerless XLS driver in both ported and PR based cabinets. They compared transient response plots of each design. It was pretty obvious from the plots that the PR had more 'ringing' and 'overshoot' compared to the standard port.

Unfortunately I've lost the link...... :frowning:

Note if this is your first DIY sub, you won't be disappointed with either design.

Regards
Thomas

Sebastian

Second Unit
Thanks Thomas,
I will save a little money then and go with the EBS alignment. Space is not a concern. I will be replacing my DIY 5 cu-ft sonosub using an SVS original driver.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've done both a 5ft^3/18Hz ported "EBS" and a ~3ft^3/20Hz PR alignment with the AV12. While both great subs, the larger box dug deeper, likely thanks to the hump around Fb in the alignment. If you have the space, go with the ported and one of the 4" flared port kits from PE.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastian,

What are the design details of that SVS sub you have? I bought an old SVS driver and am trying to model something. I would like to make a sub similar to SVS 20-39, but I can't get a design I like. Also, how many watts are you running it with?

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Sebastian

Second Unit
No problem, good luck!
250W PE plate amp with no bass boost. More than enough power for this driver.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't have any problems with exceeding xmax or port noise with your design?

Sorry for the thread hijack! ;)

Thanks again!

Sebastian

Second Unit
The only DVD so far was ATOC when the senators ship explodes, "fly by scene" about 7 dB below ref.
I have not tried the other big bass movies like the haunting. TS2 and Monster inc no issues but I really never drive this subwoofer that hard. I have a little one sleeping usually.
No port noise that I could tell. The port I used is identical with the one SVS uses, heavily flared. I am pretty sure a 4" flared port is more than adequate for this driver.
I think with this driver at high volumes and the right DVD you can bottom this driver with no problem.
Here is another link with an excursion graph for SVS original driver
SVS excursion

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think I could I get away with non flared ports of PVC? I was thinking maybe two 4", or three 3" ports of PVC? If I went that route I would probably make a flare in the MDF with a router on the outside.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
A distance at least equal to the diameter of the port. The greater the distance the better.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
hmmmm, I wonder if the wife will object to a 55" tube in the apartment? ;)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks