AV-1 help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm in the process of building my first set of speakers, GR-Research AV-1s. I've almost got the boxes built and am about to attempt to assemble the cross-overs. I have two questions:
    1. Is it advisable to glue the capacitors, inductors, etc. to a board or something or can I just stick them in the box?

2. I have never soldered before except for the little bit of practice I've been doing this morning. I have a 15W/30W iron and a 40W iron. Is one preferable? Other than that I would appreciate and tips/advice.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

I used a piece of 1/4 pegboard and glued the electronics to it with Shoe Goo. Then I glued the assembly to the brace in the speaker. This way makes for a tidy looking installation.
    Either iron will be all right. If you can get the solder to flow OK with the lesser wattage one that would be better because there will be less risk of overheating the electronics. If the tip of your iron is well tinned (clean and shiny with solder) the soldering should be the easiest part of speaker building. If you have any doubts about your soldering ability just practice a little and you'll be fine.