Automobile models (scale) fake looking in FX movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Eric Huffstutler, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Oct 2, 1999
    Eric Huffstutler
    It seems as though big budget special effects movies are becoming more and more realistic EXCEPT when it comes to automobiles and other vehicles.

If they can get a building to blow up and look real, why can't they get a car to look real as it is being tossed about as a result of an explosion or in one? I mean they come flipping at you looking like they came off the showroom floor... scale models come at you un-dented or mutilated from the blast. In cases where real autos were used, you can often see that they lack engines and the steel plate that have been attached to the chassis/frame to use as a flip platform are still there. For people who knows cars this is an insult to the senses. They could at least CG those launch platforms off of the vehicle and give miniature or CG cars a more realistic damaged look as they are tossed in the air. To me seeing that spoils the effect.

2. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

Dec 10, 2003
    I think newer movies, like BAD BOYS 2, for example, at least try to correct for this by using CGI to either create cars from scratch, or at least paint out stunt gear that's visible in the shot. At the same time, the car chase was just ONE of the many things that bugged me about BAD BOYS 2. I knew in my mind's eye that many of the cars in that sequence were not real, and thus that stuntmen were being further squeezed out of their craft.

As for phony looking cars, the first two TERMINATOR movies come to mind, as does the bridge explosion at the end of LONG KISS GOODNIGHT. If they're gonna build real or CG models of cars, they should at least be models of actual, existing cars. Many of the CG cars and trucks added to the freeway chase in MATRIX 2 were extremely phony, although the speed of the sequence sort of hid it in the theatrical presentation, less so on home video, where frame-by-frame reveals transport trucks riding a full two feet higher than reality so the "camera" could race beneath them.