What's new

Automatically change resolution? (1 Viewer)

Ray_H

Auditioning
I have an ATI AIW AGP video card hooked to a TV and monitor. In order to watch DVDs on the TV the resolution must be set no higher than 800x600 but I use 1024x768 on the monitor.

Is there a way to automate switch the resolution and turning the TV output on?

Thanks,

Ray

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If I recall correctly, PowerDVD gives you the option to automatically switch the resolution whenever it plays a DVD. I think you can even specify a resolution for 4:3 and 16:9 titles separately.

Ray_H

Auditioning
With the ATI card I have to switch resolutions then enable the TV-out. It has become a major pain since the computer is over 100 feet away in a seperate room.

I'm thinking about installing a second video card but it would have to be PCI. I'm wondering if I should get a good pci card and hook my monitor up to it or if I should get a pci card with tv-out and connect the tv to it.

Any thoughts?

Ray

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Powerstrip will do it audtomatically. You can associate a display profile with an application, and it will change when you start that app.

-Vince

Ray_H

Auditioning
I can get powerstip to change the resolution, I just can't get it to activate the tv-out.

Ray

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha- You might be able to do it with girder if you want to try to learn that application.

It's very powerful- and can use nealy any input to trigger nearly any command. It could, in theory, also be associated with the launch of the DVD playback device and send the proper commands to enable the TV output automatically.

-vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks