Automatic Transmission Replacement

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

My 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 has 142,000 miles on it and the AT is startin' to feel pretty iffy. Due to the high milage this truck is worthless as a trade-in, anyway I already did major engine stuff last year and I've decided to stick with this thing so I'll have no payments.
    So, do you repair transmissions or just replace them?

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

damn, where did you drive? around the world?

3. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

A friend of mine has one of the diesel Ram truck he got last year and it had to have it's automatic tranny replaced a couple of months later. You might check to see if there's a TSB on it that's covered by the factory. It could save you alot of money. Good luck my friend.

4. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jim,

the recall for the vent hose is the only thing you're gonna get for free, and it's not going to fix the weak tranny. Service bulletins are not recalls, they are advisories to dealer techs on how to diagnose and repair problems that may crop up.

The most common and safest solution to your transmission problem is a factory rebuilt unit. They've gotten way too complex for "repair" except for minor stuff like replacing faulty solenoids or sensors. At that high a mileage, if you plan on keeping the truck, a factory rebuilt is the only way to go.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Not sure if this applies to Dodge but Chrysler has always had tranny problems, they are pretty much KNOWN for bad transmissions. To rebuild their reputation they offer a 50/50 repair cost when you take a Chrysler into the dealer, meaning you only pay half for a new (factory rebuilt) transmission to be slapped in your car.

This happened to our Chrysler minivan and our neighbor's, both of us only had to pay 50% to get it fixed.

If you really give your auto hell you can get a bulletproof tranny installed in your car. www.levelten.com has some more info on this.

7. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

At 142,000 miles, you are not going to get any 50/50 offer out of Chrysler
    that tranny can be rebuilt easily, my friend runs a shop that does them all the time
    unless you have major internal damage, it will be less than $1600 at a reputable shop,find one that is a AATRA or ATRA (not sure if 1 or 2 "As" in it) member, they will honor each others warranties

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thank you all, that's what I needed to hear.