automatic pool covers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DannyL, May 4, 2004.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

finally taking the plunge (no pun intended) and we are getting a new pool. does anyone have any experience with those automatic pool covers? also, does anyone have any recommendedation for a pool builder- good quality but decent price. i live in san bernardino county in southern california. thanks.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

My only advice is to go with an established (meaning very large) company. My company did good work for a great price, but went belly up 1/2 way through the building. I lost about 6K overall (but actually it worked out for the better because I personally contracted everything out from there and went a little higher end than I was planning with the builder). You may pay a bit more, but with something as difficult and expensive you really don't want to chance what happened to me.

If its in your budget, I would look into stamped concrete for flooring. Its the first thing people compliment me about my backyard, but its pricey. This was one of the upgrades I contracted myself after my builder went bankrupt and just the flooring alone almost makes me happy I lost 6K, honestly.

I don't use a pool cover out here in Vegas. It never gets too cold and there aren't many leaves in this area, except palm.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I worked for a pool service company for two summers in college and every automatic cover had problems. Either the motor goes or the wiring goes and then the cover goes off track or the material tears. At the very least, get one with a warranty on the motor (I'm not sure how long they are covered) and keep the storage compartment as clean as possible by removing leaves, rodents, etc...

The custom-fit safety covers with pop-up in-cement anchors seemed to be the best for durability and safety.

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the replies. what is a decent price per square foot for concrete- plain vs stamped vs color washed?