Automated W2k Registry scripting

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay H, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Can anybody explain to me a simply way to automate changing a registry value in Windows 2000 at login? I want to set the windows messenging service to "Manual" or "Automatic" since the IT seems to set it to disabled every now and then. I'd like to setup a script at login to automatically edit the registry key (I already know where the key is and what value to set it to) to set it to either manual or automatic rather than disabled. Is there a program or script that I can easily do this? I've seen threads of people exporting the registry, using a find program and changing the value and then importing it back, but was wondering if there is something simpler?

Is there any freeware apps or shareware apps that will do this too I can have run at startup?

Jay

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jay assuming you are running windows 2000 or higher I'd simply write a vbscript to stop the service directly and if its placed in the Start up folder it'll run when ever windows boots. Its pretty easy to do and the help's not to hard to follow at (TechNets Script Center)

Also a lot of systems are set up not to run files with a .vs extension due to viruii...the work around is to save the file with a .vbe extension.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You could export the value from the reg to a file, then drop that file into your startup folder. it might prompt you if you're sure you want to add that value to the registry each time, but I believe it would work.

-vince

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Vince, that should do it. I can even make a batch file to run it with the /S command so I don't get prompted. I just tried it out and it works great...

Jay