Autographed Movie Posters - Anyone have them/collect them/buy them off ebay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    My wife has recently given me the OK to add some Movie Posters to our Living Room Home Theater.
    I'll probably have room for 3-5 posters in all.
    I was browsing around on ebay tonight - and I found some movie posters that are autographed by some/all of the stars. They really aren't going for all that much, at this point in the auction anyway. It still may be too early in the auction for me to be able to gauge the $$ they'll end up selling for though.
    I worked in the Autograph industry (Sports Collectibles) for about 3 years after High School. I co-managed a small store (The Collector's Den in the Greenwood Mall Greenwood, IN - for those of you wondering [​IMG] ) so, with having this experience - I am smart enough to know that most (I'd guess 80%) of all autographed items are really not AUTHENTIC in nature. I would even tell my potential customers that they should only buy an autographed item if they were comfortable doing so and understood the risks involved.
    So, I'm really not concerned with the authenticity of these autographs on the movie posters that are selling on ebay. Some of them may indded be authentic - but I would guess that most of them are not.
    I just thought it would be a little more of a conversation piece if I had posters that were autographed/signed/fake signed [​IMG] versus just having plain old posters.
    Anyone else have any autographed movie posters/memoribilia?
    Anyone buy any of their stuff off ebay?
    Just wondering.....
    Best Regards,
    Mike Bunting

2. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

The only one I have autographed is Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, that I bought from the View Askew website when the movie first came out. Usually the first thing someone will say is "Wow you met Kevin Smith??" [​IMG]

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Tim -
    Thanks for your response. I have considered getting that same poster (Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back) that is autographed by Kevin Smith. Either that one or even a "Chasing Amy" autographed poster as well.
    They are very reasonable in cost - If I recall they are still available for $24.00 at www.viewaskew.com or right here: http://store.yahoo.com/jsbstash/
    Anyone else?

4. DavidRM

DavidRM Auditioning

Hi Mike and all,

I just stumbled across this forum and I am glad I found it. I have been buying and selling original movie posters on Ebay for years and I have only had a couple of minor problems. If you use common sense on there and buy from people with good feedback you will not have any problems. It is also by far the best source to find original double sided posters which are usually cheaper than the reproductions. You can also usually find large lots of originals that most people pass over.

Regarding autographed posters, I stay away from those with a 10ft pole. I certainly think its not worth the risk of spending 10 times the normal price when there is a very good chance it is a fake, unless you actually see the star in person signing it. That is just my opinion though.

I have a pretty good knowledge of what posters show up on Ebay and what they usually go for, so if you have any questions just ask. I just got a job at the home theater store Tweeter, so hopefully I will be able to put together a nice set up soon. I am combing through the forum now looking for ideas. My posters just look a little out of place next to an old 27" TV...haha

Take care everyone -- Dave

5. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Dave: Welcome to the Home Theater Forum! I'm sure you'll love it here!
    Thanks very much for the feedback on buying movie posters off ebay.
    I'm mostly just watching the bidding right now - but I have placed a few bids hoping to get lucky and snag one for a good price - hopefully [​IMG].

6. Butch Smith

Butch Smith Stunt Coordinator

I have also avoided "autographed" stuff. Really, what are the chances that there are 10 companies (the large ones are located in FLORIDA???) that engage stars enough to keem multiples in stock.

"Here Mr. Pitt, could you sign this one? And this one? and this...and this..."

That, and who exactly offers the Certificate of Authenticity? That's right, the selling company, or a standalone company that gets "fees" for issuing the certificates.

I only have 2 signed things that I had signed myself, my limited ed. "Army of Darkness" DVD signed by Bruce Campbell, and Homer Hickam signed my DVD of "October Sky".

It's really not worth the money to risk a fake.