autobody repair = expensive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Alright, I'll admit, I'm an idiot. I looked down to change the track on my CD player at the same moment freeway traffic came to a screeching halt. Well, I skidded and bumped into the back of a Suburban. Just a little bump... his trailer hitch punched a hole in my bumper and I have a little dent in my front hood. The only damage on his car was the electrical outlet on his trailer hitch was bent. So, I sprung for a new trailer hitch (this guy likes to buy the hitches where the outlet is welded on to the hitch assembly!)

Anyway... I finally got around to taking my car in to have an estimate for my little hole and dent.

$1600!!!!!!

The guy did show me where one quarter panel was a little off-kilter and one head lamp is a little pushed in.

Sheesh!! Just had to vent.

Are there any HTF discounts for autobody work? [​IMG]

BTW: It's a '98 Nissan Altima... that brown color they like to call "brushed pewter". They're not foolin' anybody... it's "brown"!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'll never figure out why body parts are so expensive. i guess the body-shops know that insurance is paying for it, so they decide to really smack it to ya.

i guess there's something to be said for factory parts, but c'mon.

i had a guy tap my rear bumper. nothing serious...just some deep scratches. no under-bumper, fender or frame damage.

his company wrote me a check for about 900.00!!! [​IMG]

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I have a 98 altima also. I slid on an icy road into someone at about 5mph and it was well over 4,000 bucks. You're lucky the bags didn't blow, at 1k each plus the blowbox and a new windshield [​IMG]

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, when i backed into my friends' COROLLA a few months ago, it cost me $640!!! It was just a small dent/scratch on the driver side corner bumper/light...

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

It would depend on the local price per hour that the area body shops use. In my area it is nearly 40 bucks per.
    This means that in the estimate guide there is a part and a time in hours it takes to put the part on the car.
    Those are all added up with the price of the parts and walla, you have your estimate.

Now if you want the good paint such as Deltron etc. then I would make sure that the body shop handled that brand and it should be added into the cost. Some shops skimp on paint quality by using single stage while your vehicle is probably 2 stage paint which means paint and clear coat.

If you find a shade tree shop you can probably find a better deal but are taking quality chances.

6. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I just got into a fender bender today, it was my fault but the guy didn't even stop. He was driving an older model pickup and I guess he didn't care about bumper damage because I waited a good 5 minutes on the side of the road in case he was going to turn around and come back.

My car is still driveable, but the passenger tail light is gone, and the body panel on the passenger side adjacent to the tail light assembly is damaged pretty well.

This weekend will be a good deal of hammering and bondo.

7. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Expensive? Tell me about it. I just bought a new Saturn L Series Wagon ,(please, no Saturn bashing) had it just over two weeks and put less than 300 miles on it. Sunday night a large block of ice (it's winter here in upstate NY) fell off the roof of the house and smashed the windshield and hood. It's costing $2200. Sure my insurance will cover it, but we all know who pays for it in the end.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

9. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Screw that! Do it yourself. Haven't you seen the Ding King [​IMG]

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey Nick were you ever able to find that corner lamp used, or did you buy a new one??

Brent