Auto Values-dings, paint,etc........OPINIONS NEEDED

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Hello. I was curious as to what everyone's opinion about various dings,scratches,etc mean ona car according to Blue Book. I found a 5-speed Shadow....interior is clean(8-9 of 10) but the outside is my major concern. It has some small scratches where the paint is chipping(an inch or two long where paint is gone and shows yellow plastic underneath). HOWEVER, the side part of the rear bumper is is tilted up at an angle on passenger side. Reason? Some idiot evidently backed it up hard enough into a telephone or parking pole that there is a noticeable dent in the back(plastic bumper pushed in about 1-2 inches, plus the side bumper knocked up as mentioned before).
Here are the categories listed for condition:Paint and body Flawless, glossy Dents, dings or chips Damaged
Paint or body work None Less than $3000 More than $3000
Frame or unibody Unaltered Repaired or altered Damaged
After describing that damage above, which should it be? I need to know what people think as it affects what I'll offer for the car. Thanks
(Blue Book said it was "Fair".
Good
$690

"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.
Fair
$380

"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.He asked for $1200.....which is about DOUBLE what I figured it might be worth/sell for.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Buying a car in good running condition (with clear title of course) for under a grand sounds pretty reasonable to me no matter what the cosmetics. Your description of the body and paint problems seem to put it in the "fair" catagory. For that amount of money I don't think I'd be concerned with cosmetics...JMO

Mort

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't worry about any minor scratches or dings, but I would be concerned with something like a mis-aligned bumper. There could be further damage to the frame/unibody underneath. Without knowing the year and the mileage it's hard to say how much is too much to pay for this car, but I certainly would not pay any more than what KBB says it's worth.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper