Auto turn-on subwoofers.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nat Kilby, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Nat Kilby

Nat Kilby Auditioning

I have an old Sony SA-W30 powered sub that is auto-on when it senses a signal. This is not a problem with music but during anything but an action film it is constantly turning itself off and on (due to not having a signal for a minute or two) and yes this thing has an awful turn-on/off thump. Does anyone know how to either lengthen the idle time before off or disable the auto power circuit completely, so I can just install a switch. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Nat, welcome to the Forum...

Yes, there are a coupla calibration steps that may solve your "early-off" sub problem.

It helps to increase the SubOut voltage from the primary receiver. This goes along with the sub calibration process (sound meter and whatever test disc or tones you use). The SubOut voltage level is found via the remote's Sub Level set-up scale, typically -20dB to 0dB for a Yamaha. This ought to be set closer to -- but NOT at the full end of this scale to avoid possible distortion.

If your subout level already is maxx'd, then leaving the sub amp ON all the time may be all you can do with this unit.

In increasing this on the rcvr, one then needs to reduce/lower the sub amp's own gain setting to compensate, again best using meter and test tones.

One more tip to boost sub amp voltage input is using a One-Female-to-Two-Males Y-splitter (RadShack is good) to utilize the sub amp's L & R inputs; you will need to recalibrate the sub output balance again.

bill

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Bill's advice is right on, first the sub level up from the receiver and then adjust accordingly from the subwoofer. If that doesn't do it then a y-splitter is your next option.

4. Nat Kilby

Nat Kilby Auditioning

My reciever is a pretty cheap Sony unit (HT in a box, the sub it came with has a power button and gain, but it's an 8"). The sub out on the reciever is not adjustable, in any way (already checked into that one). Also the sub input (on the SA-W30) is mono. I do have the input adapter that it came with but it is for speaker level. I'm pretty sure my reciever has a high-pass filter on the other 5 channels, so that doesn't work either. Any other ideas guys?

5. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I got the same problem @ home too. I've got a Denon 1803 reciever and have seen an option to set the sub level. I really hope it works. Thanks a bunch guys. this place is full of great information!!! [​IMG]

Oh, I never mentioned my sub in my other thread because it ain't much to brag about. It's basically a 5 year old Costco special for $250 CAD (D-Sub I think). Actually, it's not even mine. It's my friends sub but he currently lives in an apt building and can't use it, so I get to have fun with it [​IMG] (even though it's kinda crappy).