What's new

Auto on/off woes. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I've just bought a sub with a built in amplifier with auto on off. It sucks. When listening to music at softer levels which I sometimes do, especially classical, the sub turns itself off, and then you need to wind it right up to get ti back on.

Any ideas on how to defeat the on/off. Will I need to have the amp modified or replaced? The sub weighs over 100lbs so I'd prefer not to lug it anywhere.

I have plenty of spare amplifier channels, so could use those to power the sub.

Thanks

Steve

BTW, the amp is a rather low grade Australian one made by 'Altronics'.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with my SVS PC 25-31. The SVS boys suggested just leaving it on 24x7. They said it wouldn't hurt the amp. Done it ever since...going on 8-9 months now.

Your switch, if like mine, has 3 positions: off, on, auto-on. Just switch it to on

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Stephen,

How do you have the sub set up? Do you have the sub's internal amp wide open with the sub out on your receiver minimized? If so, try adjusting the sub's amp so that the gain is somewhere around 1/4-1/3 of the way up and calibrate by adjusting the sub out on your receiver. This is most commonly the problem as the sub out is not applying enough of a signal at low listening levels to turn the sub's amp on.

Brian

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I have the sub volume very low and the output gain on my crossover (external active) high. And there is no switch for choosing always on, which I'd prefer.

Thanks for the tips though

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.