Auto ON feature on Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rajeev_s, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Velodyne VX-10 from 6th ave. It sounds good, but I have problem with the auto-on feature (it doesnt have a switch for constant on). It doesnt turn on unless I crank up the volume on my reciever way high.
    The FAQ on their website suggested using Y connector both inputs. I used Monster Y connector and it has a slight improvement in signal sensing, but does not tun on at regular listening levels.
    Once it turns on it sounds good at low as well as high levels. But it will turn off at moderate level. This is a big problem when watching movies, it wont turn on in a scene with high bass effects.
    Do all subs have low sensitivity to signals, do they turn on only at high levels ? Is my problem unique, should I have the unit replaced or returned ?

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

it is sorta a common problem. generally the recommended solution is to raise the volume of the sub in the receiver's menu and then in turn lower the volume on the sub itself. this is so the sub's amp will be getting a more powerful signal at all times and should help.

3. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I have tried that, the level on the reciever is max +10db. But it didnt give me significant improvement. Any other suggestions ?
    Thx

4. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Im sure if you feel you're competent enough to do it, you could mod the amp to that it would always stay on, or rewire the switch to that you have an on/off switch instead of the auto/off.