What's new

Auto maker John DeLorean has died (threads merged) (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Former GM executive and maverick auto manufacturer John Delorean has died from complications of a recent stroke, at 80 years old.

Yahoo! News/AP

Truly a symbol of 80's excess, the DeLorean was a unique car which defined a generation, thanks especially the car's inclusion in the Back To The Future films. Less than 9000 were made, many of which still are collected and traded and continue to run today, while others have rusted away to become mere shells of themselves.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

We were actually talking about this about an hour ago while going through a book of biggest lemon's for cars. The DeLorean was on the first page. I believe you are correct about it being s/s.

Craig

Second Unit

The GM brass were not interested in manufacturing the GTO and told DeLorean to forget it. John defied the big wigs and took prototypes of the car directly to the dealers. They started placing orders and calling GM asking about the car. As they say, the rest is history, the muscle car was born.

The time was ripe for the muscle car, and someone else would have eventually produced one if Pontiac hadn't. However the fact remains, it was DeLorean who defied his superiors and came up with what would be known as the first muscle car.

1964 GTO:

1964 GTO engine, 389 cubic inches, with three 2-barrel carbs sitting on top:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
In a non-related story, my parents actually owned one of John Delorean's personal automobiles for a time. They owned a Mercedes 300 TD which John sold to a friend of my uncle who in turn sold it to my parents. My parents have since sold the vehicle.

Now back to the topic....

J

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
If GM had let Delorean do what he wanted with the GTO there would not have been a car in the 60's to beat it performance wise. I have had four 1965 and one 69 Pontiac GTO's todate and loved them all. Thanks John Delorean for those fond memories of my past!

Wes

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
My dad has a 1965 Pontiac GTO that he bought and restored. It kicks ass. I just love it when my dad puts the pedal to the metal and sends the car screaming down the road.

Thanks to John DeLorean for coming up with the muscle car and for making the coolest car in movie history, the DeLorean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks