Auto backup to a secondary internal drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ken Holmes, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

I want to have any file that I change in my "My Documents" folder to be automatically backed up to a folder on a secondary hd. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this in windows xp?

Thanks,
    Ken H

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I think you'd need to RAID them (raid 1), but that would need a RAID controller card.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

You could also configure a script to copy the needed files to the second drive at startup or logoff or set it up under scheduled tasks to run at times of your choosing. You can use xcopy to setup the copy script. Here is an example note that the quotes must be in the long file name in order for xcopy to read it. The other parameters will only copy newer files once the initial copy is done so it will run faster. You will just need to make a new file under notepad and save it as a .bat file by changing the file type to all files then type in the full name example backup.bat I think there are other utils out there that do this also but this is a cheap and easy way

Here is the sample for copying the contents of my documents to d:backup

xcopy "C:Documents and SettingsmikeMy Documents" d:backup /s /d /y /i

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Run a Windows Backup every night on files that changed and save the file to the new drive.

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter