Auto Accident Fees

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I was recently in an auto accident in which I was not at fault. A woman ran a red light and smashed into my Toyota 4runner causing over $2,500 worth in damages.
    After 8 days of body work I finally got my car back. Meanwhile I had to use a rental car from "Enterprise" to commute to school.
    Her insurance is "State Farm" and said they'd cover everything. At Enterprise an employee told me that the insurance companies "generally" cover the additional $10/day under age fee (I'm 20 yrs old). He also wrote it down on my receipt that they would "Call insurance company and verify $10/fee" and initialed it. Unfortunately, when I picked up my car today, I found out that State Farm refused to cover that $10 fee and now I'm stuck with a $96 dollar rental car fee that Enterprise charged me.
    I know it may not seem like much but as a student, $100 can go a long way. Any ideas as to how I could get my money back? Enterprise basically took the $100 deposit money I initially had to give them.
    I think it was misleading of Enterprise to word that the insurance will cover everything when that was not the case. I think most of the ppl here are over 21 so this probably hasn't happened to them but you can probably see my frustration.
    The only thing I can think of is to complain to State Farm to cover it but I don't really know what to say. [​IMG] I guess I'll have to make some calls.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hmm...

it sounds to me like this is an issue with enterprise.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

State farm seems to be the problem here. In this part of the country, they are the worse about paying up and reducing payments. Any bill that you incur due to your accident should be paid by her insurance co so I would submit that bill to State Farm and stand firm....

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

This is a tricky line you are on here. The insurence company is obligated to give you a rental car while your car is being repaired. If the car is yours, meaning that the title is in your name only, they should cover whatever it takes to get you a car. But if the title is also in your parents name, then they did supply a car while your was being fixed. Then it is up to you and your parents to work out the extra fee to let you drive. Being that your parents could drive the rental and you drive one of there cars. I know that is probably not even be possible being in college, but to the insurence company (and legaly because they are on the title too) you are stuck.

The insurance adjuster decides how much they will pay, so it is up to them to approve the charges. When I had to rent a car I made Enterprise call the adjuster to approve an upgraded car, being they damaged my luxury car. (They should replace it with an equal car, but good luck with that one. I am lucky I got a cheap midsize) But I made sure to get it approved before I took the larger car. And since you signed for the extra fee to be approved, that is partially Enterprise's fault. They should not have let you take the car if it was not approved.

So first talk to Enterprise. They are your best bet. You might even get them to call the adjuster and see about splitting the difference. (But talking to insurance adjusters is worse than talking to a brick wall) But you may just be out of luck due to your age. No one ever said it was fair, but life isn't fair sometimes.

Sorry, and good luck.