What's new

Auto 16:9 w/KV-32FS100 Again (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I had pretty much made up my mind to go out and haggle for the KV-32FS100 today. I figured I could probably get it for $500 or so.

However I am concerned about one feature. It is my understanding that the 16:9 mode is NOT automatic and that it needs to be set. My questions are:

1 - is this accurate? I have read differing views some stating that it depends on which connection used.

2 - Does it need to be set every time I put in a movie (i.e. everyday?) or will the setting stick until I change it back?

3 - The setting applies to video in only, correct? It won;t effect regular tv watching (probably a dumb question).

Thanks. By the way, this is one of the best forums I have ever been a party to.

Fr. John

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Right it has to be set each and every time you want it turned on. I have a macro set up to scroll though the menu's to do it for me so that takes some of the pain away. Its a great looking TV though:emoji_thumbsup: You might want to take a look at the flat screen JVC's as well since they look similar and have one button access to the 16:9 modes...I choose the Sony over it though because it was available sooner, I have more faith in the wega tube and I think resale will be higher in the wega then a JVC. Rightly or wrongly joe blow tends to think sony = perfect.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Does the KV27FS100 feature the same 16:9 enhanced mode as the 32"? Also does JVC offer a 27" with that feature, or any other manufacturers? (Model Numbers)

Thanks
Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Steve, the 27-inch model has the 16:9 feature as well.

Father John, so you've decided to stick with an NTSC-only set for now? At any rate, remember to tell your DVD player that it's outputting to a 16:9 display. After that, you'll never have to go into the player's setup menu again. And you're correct, the 16:9 mode applies only to 16:9-encoded DVD images; it won't affect regular television viewing.

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately I am left a bit confused.

I was under the impression that the 16:9 setting was via the tube. I am aware of the DVD player setting but thought that the tube needed to be set seperately, each time at that.

Would you mind clarifying that? I have my DVD set for 16:9 now and of course that sticks. What I am concerned with is having to make that setting on the TV menu. With kids and wife who doesnt want to mess with it I would rather everything stay simple.

Thanks again.

Fr. John

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No problem, sir:

Since the FS100 has a manual 16:9 mode (my WEGA does this automatically), you need only select the 16:9 mode in the TV's menu when playing a 16:9-encoded DVD (i.e., "anamorphic widescreen," "enhanced for 16:9 televisions," etc.). And since it's manual, you need to go back to 4:3 mode when viewing TV (including for programs presented in letterboxed format; it's all 4:3 as far as the Sony is concerned). If you left the 16:9 mode on for "regular" TV, you'd have a distorted picture of course.

All the while, the DVD player should be left at 16:9 output.

Hope this makes sense. Please don't hesitate to ask for further clarification.

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
Jack, I was looking at this model in the store, and I believe there is an "Auto" setting under the 16:9 mode?
Would this not change automatically as needed?

Steve

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Still not convinced. Sorry for the doubt, but......

Number 1: I am now curious about what Mr. Young is saying here. What aboput this Auto mode?

Number 2: It just doesnt make sense to me that the 16:9 mode, which is obviously for viewing movies ONLY, wouldnt apply to the TV's "video" input only. It seems that as soon as you were to switch out of "video" and back to regular cable you be back in non-"video" mode? Yes?

Steve Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Young
The 16:9 mode on the FS100 is only available in one of the video input modes. When you are in the regular cable input this option is not available. I tried this for myself.

Steve

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Father it is a manual mode (I own the same TV) and you do have to manually set each time. It won't remember the setting for that input either which is a shame since that would have been a work around. It will revert back to 4:3 as soon as you press the input button though so switching out of 16:9 is not a problem.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
What Andrew said...
Plus, it will also revert to 4:3 when power is cycled... so eeven if you never change inputs, you have to reset the enhanced mode on every power-up.

If I recall, it's about 11 or 12 button presses to get in the menu, navigate to the 16:9 setting, make the change and exit the menu.

It's a shame that Sony was so short-sighted on this feature on this particular model. In most other respects, it's an excellent set.

Get an after-market remote with macro and learning ability, you can set the change to a macro for a one-button switch.

-Scott

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the new Sony model (FS210?) that is replacing the FS100 will do it automatically?

CharlesDLP

Auditioning
Sony's 16:9 enhanced mode is only available in the user menu while on inputs video 1-4. When on the antenna input the option to turn 16:9 enhanced mode on is greyed out. This is because the antenna input only accepts NTSC 480i which will always be a 4:3 signal. Least that is Sony's reasoning for this which I agree with. It's not like you'd want to run 16:9 material via a rf modulator to the set anyway with all the higher end inputs. The 16:9 enhanced mode setting does not stay in memory for each input as has been mentioned already. It must be turned on each time. The new 210 series sets which replaced the 200 series from last year do not have the "auto" 16:9 enhanced mode. Only change I am aware of is cosmetic. The 210 series does sport the curved style cabinet much like the higher series Sony sets do. Now the non-pip and pip models actually look different. For that substantial price increase to add the pip at least you get a more refined look to the cabinet as well.

For those of you with these sets I highly recommend adjusting the parameter in the service menu if needed to ensure the 16:9 enhanced mode is not over-squeezed. There are many links on the web where people explain the process of entering the service menu and adjusting the proper parameter. Such a link is below.

Sony KV Series Oversqueeze Page:
http://www.geocities.com/chuckster04...ersqueeze.html
Even though this link is for the KV series I've found it works for the FS series as well.

I've read that if you save out in the service menu with the 16:9 mode turned on it will stay turned on even after you shut the power down to your set and turn it back on. With the kv36fs200 set I tried this on it did not work. Others may have some luck with this.

In respects to the usefulness of the 16:9 enhanced mode ... DVD's are not the only thing this is good for. Those 480i outputs from HD-STB's look great running to any analog 4:3 set with 16:9 enhanced mode, but especially when it's a Sony!

Last tid bit ... I do know that the new line of higher end Sharp sets, both curved and flat tubes do offer the 16:9 enhanced mode. It is a fixed option in the menu which will stay turned on, but unlike the Sony it applies to all sources whether it be the antenna input or actual video inputs.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
For some reason my brand new 36HS510 doesn't auto squeeze my videogames from the Cube, Xbox, and PS2 in my second component input. It does squeeze all my dvds which are hooked up through my Sony player in the first component input. I don't understand why the games won't auto squeeze though. :frowning: My Xbox games used to auto squeeze on my old 32" Wega. So I know the Xbox does work with this feature.

Dan.B

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It only recognizes the 16:9 "flags" from DVDs, apparently.

Father John, have you made the purchase yet or are you still deciding? You might want to consider something like a KV-32HS510, which will set you up for a glorious future in high-def.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
It's actually a little weirder Jack. The tv auto squeezes the Xbox's menu system. However, as soon as a game boots up it doesn't. Like I said before though my previous 32" Wega did auto squeeze all anamorphic Xbox games. My new one doesn't! :angry:

Dan.B

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm aware it's not a lot of work Jack, but the tv is still advertised as having an auto-squeeze feature and it doesn't seem to work. Just a small annoyance.

Dan.B

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Thank you for inquiring.

Actually I think this latest realization over the non-auto 16:9 mode soured me on the whole idea. I had been willing to spend $5-600 as an interim solution until the 42" plasmas were more affordable. If I move up to the HS series I would be commiting to more financially than I had planned which would make anything a year or year and a half from now very difficult to justify.

I guess I am left waiting it out. I will continue to "wiggle" my video composite/in RCA (the short I wrote about) to watch DVDs! What choice do I have?

Fr. John

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, sir, there are so many possibilities in the meantime. I understand the situation (all too) well, yet there's Samsung's 32-inch high-def direct-views clocking in at a grand, and Philips and Zenith are making high-def inroads into the sub-$1,000 range. If we can get you within ballpark you'll have a set you can live with for a few years (eventually using as your second display).

I also recommend watching other trends in addition to plasma technology. Let's see what Toshiba does to expand on its LCoS technology in RPTVs (as your eventual goal).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks