Auto 16:9 Enhancement V-Compression?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Arnette, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Hi all.

While I am woe to add yet another thread about auto 16:9 enhancement, v-compression to this forum, I had a couple of question to which I did not see the answer as I was performing my search.

I recently purchased the Sony KV-32FS100 for "casual" viewing in our family room. Since my primary set is an HDTV-ready Mitsubishi WS-55905, this is my first set with the 16:9 enhancement feature. The two questions I have are the following:

1.) Since this is a non-HDTV set, I assume that I am to set the progressive scan player I have, Panasonic RP-62, to interlaced mode for use with the 16:9 enhancement, even though I will be telling the DVD player it is connecting to a 16:9 set, correct?

2.) Since the 16:9 enhancement is automatic, I assume that if I play a non-anamorphic DVD, I do not need to do anything through the set's menu? The TV will be "smart enough" to make the distinctiion between anamorphic and non-anamorphic, and the 16: 9 enhancement feature on the TV will not adversely impact my watching of a non-anamorphic disc?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Correct. [​IMG]

Regards

3. Paul Arnette

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the 16:9 enhancement, v-compression.

In playing around with my set last night, I do have one further question. Does the Sony KV-32FS100 truly have automatic 16:9 enhancement, v-compression? In looking at the menu, it appears to be an option that one has to manually turn on. Although I admit I have yet to try it with an anamorphic disc, as all of my DVDs are currently packed away at another location.

Thanks.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

On some of the Sony sets, the auto detect only works on S-video mode.

Of course ... no big deal either way unless one is monumentally lazy. [​IMG]

Regards

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Paul,
    16:9 mode should be a manual only process on that set.

6. Paul Arnette

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I know for sure the FV(SDTV), the HS(HDTV) and XBR(HDTV) series' do it automatically. My 32HV600 does it on component video as well as s-video and progressive as well as interlaced.