What's new

authoring dvd-ram video on a PC for use on Panasonic home unit (1 Viewer)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I have many mpeg files on my PC that I captured using my ATI 8500 AIW card
Multimedia Center software. I captured at dvd -quality. I have since bought
a Panasonic E80 recordfer and would like to burn these mpegs with it to
dvd-r. I like the ease of its built in menu creation and commercial editing.
It appears if I want to use the E80 to burn them, I need to get them on
dvd-ram, dub to the E80 HD, then dub to dvd-r.

I see that there are Panasonic OEM dvd-ram burners that are pretty cheap
($130 at newegg). So if I copy these mpgs to a dvd-ram, will the E80
recognize them and be able to edit them? Any special software I need to make
the dvd-ram? I know the burner has some type of dvd-ram drivers, but I'm not
sure if they use the same format as when I dub to dvd-ram using the E80?

Thanks

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get it. Why not just burn to DVD-r directly from your PC and cut the E80 out of the loop?? If you buy a retail box drive it will come with a basic editing/menu creation software package.

Also, according to Panasonic's specs, the E-80 will read DVD-R (it better, since it can record in DVD-R) so if you really must go from PC to DVD to E80 to DVD (again, that doesn't make much sense to me!) I'd use DVD-R.

The reason I'd stay away from DVD-ram is because it is incompatible with standalone DVD players and the media is more expensive. DVD-ram was designed for data backup use.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I've tried Studio 8 and dvd builder (part of Roxio Easy CD) and I haven't been happy with the results. Editing is somewhat picky (ie, getting to a frame to choose as an edit point with my mouse), takes forever to render the mpeg I capture and then to burn it into a dvd. And dvd-builder doesn't make a playable dvd for some family member's players (Toshiba). The E80 is much simpler in my view.

If I had found a decent dvd authoring package that's reasonable price, I would just use it on the PC and a burner.

The E80 will read a dvd-r but it won't copy it, it will only copy from a dvd-ram to the hard drive. Then you can edit and then burn a dvd-r from the hard drive.

So I probably won't do much capturing on the PC now that I have the E80, but I would like to get some of the mpegs I already saved onto dvd-r.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
There are several Panny dvd players like my rp82 or the new f85 that accept dvd-ram. but I also agree why bother.

Peter m.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

I don't think you can do what you want. You'll have to author a DVD from the files using something. I use Studio 8 for my DV stuff, and though I've had problems with it, I find the results satisfactory.

More help at www.dvdrhelp.com .

Good luck!

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Panasonic support emailed me back to say that the E80 isn't designed to read dvd-ram discs made on a PC. But I think this is more of "we don't support this" vs whether it can work. The E80 plays +R/+RW discs I have, and it doesn't claim to read them either. They also wrote back when I asked why my PC dvd-roms wouldn't display the text on their finalized dvd-r's menus and they said that the dvd-r's weren't meant to be played on a PC!

Philip, I figured I would have to author the dvd-ram with something but I wasn't sure what format a dvd-ram for video uses. Since their standalone decks played dvd-ram, I assume their pc burners can do it with some type of software.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

There are different UDF formats for DVD-RAM and you have to use the right one, that much I know. However, I don't know what that is.

Again, lots of information at www.dvdrhelp.com you should ask there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks