Authoring Digital photos on DVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I can't seem to find a thread that answered my question, so here goes. I just got a digital camera a couple of months ago, and would like to burn my photos to a DVD that can be viewed on any DVD player (that can deal with DVD-r discs of course). I know that some players can deal with discs of jpegs, but doing something more standardized is probably easier. I've seen a few cases where people have created "slide show" type discs, which appear to just convert the still images into a mpeg file, which isn't really what I want to do.

Ideally, I'm looking at DVDs that have "still gallery" types of features as a model. I'd like to be able to boot the disc to a menu, select a gallery, and manually navigate between images. If possible, I'd like to be able to allow both manual (using right/left arrows or chapter buttons) and automatic forwarding of images, as well as viewing images at full size or windowed with a text annotation (I might have to duplicate the images for this). Lastly, I know it's probably a little more difficult, but would it be possible to create an anamorphic version of this disc, which could display images at the full height of an HD monitor, with a text annotation at the side? Just thinking that this would be really useful to be able to do.

I've got a bunch of experience with creating video DVDs using TMPEGEnc, nero, VirtualDub, and TMPEGEnc's authoring program, but I've never tried anything with stills. Anyone care to share some pointers?

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Well, what you are looking for is the Kodak Picture CD format which is nothing more than JPEG's on a DVD or CD. You could organize your pictures into some well named folders that you could burn straight to a DVD. You could use that method as a crude menu system.

As far as sizing them correctly, you would have to do that manually or write some script in Photoshop or something that could size them all for you. You could also make a script prompt you to do the annotation as well.

Most DVD players allow you to manually cycle through pictures in a folder or run some sort of slideshow.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That wouldn't preclude doing what you want, with the right authoring tool. You could also use DVD's built-in subtitling for the text.

Another alternative is to build this entirely from menus, although that's more manual work, and you might run into limits on the number of menus/photos you can display.