What's new

Authentic Mexican Food Question (1 Viewer)

Marcello

Auditioning
Whoops! Gotcha....

Well, one thing I actually do miss from the US was Taco Bell and Texas' softest hugest marvelous steaks...

Ah, and 7 eleven's free refills you get from buying the 2 liters plastic cup! That kind of marketing is something here in Italy we just dream about...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Hey, I visited Poland on business and imagine my shock that Dunkin' Donuts had no "large regular" (only espresso and euro coffee) and Kentucky Fried Chicken had no cole slaw, not to mention a Quarter Pounder was a "Royale" or something! You may claim WE Americanize too much, but my God man, think about what you Europeans are doing to MY CULTURE!!!! :D :D :D

Marcello

Auditioning
Yeah, that's right.

Have you seen prices over there? Here in Italy they ask you around 2.60 euros (around $3.13 bucks...). I remember I used to pay 49c bigmacs in Arizona when I lived in Phoenix. Mac Donalds and Burger kings (better than the first) became really cool places to have brunch at amongst the teenagers here...

Marcello

Auditioning
No way! I go check it out right now... Txs for the info! I remember tons of people eating pineapple pizza in AZ (was it called Hawaii pizza? don't recall it exactely...)... :-

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I work with some Mexican women. And they tease me about going to Qdoba for lunch. "oh yeah, like that's really authentic Mexican food"

Well, I don't care if it's authentic... I like it. Besides, I've caught them eating at Taco Bell more than once. :)

It all boils down to taste. Food is an ever changing art form. That's what keeps it interesting.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Machaca! I can't believe no one mentioned machaca! It is incredibly delicious. And sopes. And chicken mole. Living in the L.A. area, and having friends who were born and raised in Mexico, has allowed me to experience lots of great Mexican food. I think carnitas and machaca are my faves.

Devin U

Second Unit
Around Phoenix, it's mostly Sonoran food. Lots and lots of beef. Also, quite a bit of seafood. I got a nice little place called Tacos Jalisco walking distance from my house. Lots of beef (including more interesting things like tounge and al pastor (cheek meat, I believe). and they do alot of fresh seafood. We also have a few New Mex places, but most are more upscale type resturants.

Iver

Second Unit
So recipes do manage to cross the border. Probably in better shape than many people who attempt the crossing.

Or, in the words of the enlightened Mexican President Porfirio Diaz: "Poor Mexico! So far from God. So close to the United States."

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Craig, you're welcome. In fact, I just ate at Sadie's Saturday night. Yum Yum! The Taco Cabanas here are trying to get family friendly but aren't being overly successful. On any given weekend night, there'll be like 20 cars in the parking lot, just cruisers hanging out. TC will call the cops, but it doesn't help that that they sit on the busiest street and most popular cruising street in the city. It's especially bad in the summer when the kids are out of school. During the day it's not so bad, though.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit

Which is again funny because the Pilsner style of beer comes originally from Pilsen, Czech Republic (ie Pilsner Urquell, the 1st Pilsner beer) and Budweiser stole its name from a Czech beer called Budvar.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I know, that's why I put the quotes around the "authentic". I have been lectured about the origin of Pilsner from my friend who married a girl from the Czech Republic. He visited the Pilsner Urquell brewery last year. Good beer, epecially if you are used to drinking a Budweiser like pilsner.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have a Mexican friend who took me to what she considered "authentic" Mexican food. We had a taco plate, which consisted of carnitas (shredded pork) served in soft corn tortillas. They were on top of a plate of shredded lettuce with radishes, and lemon wedges for squeezing onto the meat. There was fresh cut salsa on the table, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks