Australian Pearl harbour DC a Joke!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettisMckinney, Aug 26, 2002.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

After reading the review and seeing pictures of the packaging for the R1 directors cut, i was pretty certain i was going to buy it(dont give me lectures on how bad you think it is!).
    Its just been released in australia, for around $50, which is pretty hefty for one movie. On closer viewing i noticed that the packing is not the same. Its just a cardboard box that looks like a leather diary.
    Now im not sure if the R1 ver is this too, but i heard someone say it was heavy atleast. The inside has 3 discs stuck to the back of a slip, and there is none of those, cards,belt etc things R1 have. But the big annoyance..is NO DTS! Thats why the 3 discs, the movie is all on one disc. WIth dodgy packaging, no dts..and still expensive. No way is this getting a sale from me! I cant believe we got screwed again!!

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    To each his own. Personally, I would much rather have the entire movie on a single disc than have a DTS track.

Do you own a region-free DVD player? I'd hate to suggest buying the same movie twice, especially when you already paid $50 for it the first time, but perhaps you should just import the Region 1 release.

3. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

4. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Brettis,
    what you describe looks pretty much the same as the German version. Only 3 discs, no DTS, film on one disc.
    Also, some of the extras are missing, most notably the second History Channel documentary and the 50 minute Making of doc that can be found on disc 2 of the R1 set. I'm glad I bought the R1, as the price was pretty much the same anyway. To be honest I never really considered buying the R2/4 as I figured there's gonna be stuff missing anyway. Guess I figured right once again. [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Chris

5. BrettisMckinney

Yeah, if i could get the R1 for that price i would have got it, but no way can i afford to pay to import it. Even for my favorite move its hard to part with around $100 just for a dvd!

6. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Glad I bought the R1 Pearl Harbor Director's Cut. Absolutely
    no regrets.Nice transfer,DD & DTS 5.1 tracks,4 disc set with
    lots of extras for S$49.00. Its a good buy !

But the most expensive DVD that I ever bought is the
    documentary series 'VIETNAM THE TEN THOUSAND DAY WAR'and
    it tore a large hole in my pocket at S$144.00. Total running
    time is 624 mins.

7. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

I think its penny pinching by Disney pushing the film onto 3 disks. Got the US version superb. Would rather have film on 2 disks with DTS, do you sit throughout a 3 film without getting up, does not take to long to swap disks or get a DVD changer.

Also would have to lose extras as the 50 min making of is on disk 2 with last hour of film, so no room for this if film on 1 disk.

Brettis I am sure you can get the film for less than AUS100
    I paid around GBP20 (AUS 50). Have you looked at sites like DVDSoon.com based in Canada they are very cheap.

8. KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler Agent

9. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

You can do a lot better than Au$100
    I had already got a R1 copy for myself at about Au$60 including shipping when it first came out.
    A friend asked me to pick one up in the US while I was there recently - Best Buy had them for US$29.95 + local sales tax - about the same price...!

10. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

11. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

I decided to go with the R1 version mainly because of the DTS track based on Ron's review that it was very good. I don't mind the movie being over 2 discs, 'cause it's sooo long that an intermission isn't a bad thing.

I must admit that I haven't even looked at the R4 version to compare.

12. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

I think the Australian disc also misses out on the doco that was on the original set. It also has a German language track suggesting the Australian and German editions are the same.

Having said that, I paid $A37 shipped for my R1 from DVDSoon. I'm glad I did - I think the Dolby Headphone track is very cool.

I do prefer the plastic trays of the R4 to the cardboard envelopes of the R1 however.

13. BrettisMckinney

Well if you look at the pics of the R1 box, it has a strap and postcards and all that stuff in it. I had a look at the R4 and its just pics with the discs stuck to the back. Could you aussies tell me where is the best place to order R1 dvd's to australia? I only know of one store in melb in its so dear!

14. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Okay - shops OS I use
    www.dvdsoon.com is a Canadian company that's good for all but Criterions. It's dirt cheap and offers free shipping for orders over $C165 (to Australia), but charges up front, has a slow credit card validation process and poor customer service
    www.absound.ca - slightly more expensive prices than DVDSoon, good customer service and no charge until DVDs ship but expensive shipping.
    Also look at www.amazon.ca.
    www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk will assist in finding good prices...
    ([plug] www.dvdplaza.com.au is also a useful resource for Australian DVD buyers[/plug])