Australian Consumer Watchdog "Approves" The Use Of Mod-Chips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Halsey, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Brett Halsey

Brett Halsey Stunt Coordinator

Brett
  2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Both New Zealand and Australia have been getting screwed for years. The studios and game companies say that rampant importing is what's keeping them from dedicating more resources, but they just don't get the clue that timely and abundant releases would help eliminate importing. New Zealand has already passed anti region coding laws, and it looks like Oz is following suit

"Without chipping there would be no piracy, it's that simple."

Stop region locking consoles and DVD Players and I'll stop chipping them. Bottom line.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Jeff

While I never chipped a console, I do agree that they should stop region lockouts. Without them, they would make more money and could even save time on bringing a game to another country. If I could have had FFX last July, I would have, but I don't have a Japanese PS2, so I was out of luck. All they needed to do was include an English mode, release it in Japan, and they could double their launch sales through American buyers.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

To paraphrase a completely different political rallying cry: "Keep your laws off my hardware!" [​IMG]
    -Dave

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

To be fair, the situation as I understand it is that they have asked CEx to stop, but don't have any legal threats hanging. Its more a 'please stop with the Cube imports, that way we will be nice enough to let you have UK stock when the time comes' - certainly no worse than Sony's 'please stop promoting Dreamcasts, and we might let you have the odd PS2' strategy. I've not heard of anyone other than CEx being 'talked to', so may not be a universal 'hit everybody' thing yet.

Its also worth remembering that the court ruling was just in the opinion bit and wasn't part of the main ruling. It also only referred to the actual use of the imported games, so we don't know yet if the analogy to make is drugs, where mere posession is enough to get you in trouble, prescription items where you can posess it but not sell it, or things like mobile phone jammers where its legal to buy, legal to sell, legal to own, but not legal to actually hit the 'on' button.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

$120.00 for a game...ouch!
    [​IMG]
    -Andre F

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

My understanding of the Sony ruling is that its even more complicated - Sony's lawyers convinced the Judge that running import games is contrary to the fact that they claim to license the thing only for play in certain regions, and as the game is copied from disc into memory you do need to be licensed.

Fundamentally, this comes down to the defendant mod chip maker trying to argue that their chips are designed for a legal use (playing imports), and playing copied games is a mere side effect caused by the way Sony do their copy protection and region protection in one (unlike Nintendo, for example). This was countered with 'aah, but that use shouldn't be legal either, as you need to copy the game into memory and the license on the box doesn't allow that outside the region'. The US has a specific exemption for software copying to allow it to exist in memory, but we don't have that.

So, even if you didn't need to mod at all, then they would argue that you shouldn't be able to play imports.