What's new

Australia - (formerly) Untitled Baz Luhrmann picture (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So what do we know about Baz's next big film?

All I know is that it's set in Australia, has been compared to GWTW (too many times), and stars Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe.

That's all fine and good, but BAZ LUHRMANN!!! It's been a while since the curtain went down on Moulin Rouge (still one of the best films of the decade). I've been eager to see him tackle something new, and the loss of his Alexander (Scorcese and Luhrmann teaming up on that story would have been very promising) hurt this film fan a bit.

So, in short, I am just trawling for more information on his film.

Many thanks,
Chuck

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Like to say I know something Chuck...but I don't. But you're right-Kidman & Crowe, and Baz! Has the potential to be AWESOME. :)

RafaelB

Second Unit
I just went to his production company's site, bazmark.com, and they had active links for something called "No. 5" that took you to Chanel's site. Could it be a bio film on Coco?

I'm also waiting on the proposed stage versions of Moulin Rouge and Strictly Ballroom. :)

Rafael.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I thought Strictly Ballroom started out as a stage dance show and was turned into a movie? Maybe I'm wrong.

As for the stage Moulin Rouge, I heard about it back in the day, but haven't heard anything since. I'm sure the rights issues doing something like that as a Broadway production or something are horrendous. I'm inclined to think the chances of seeing Moulin Rouge on Broadway are about as good as seeing that Hellraiser Broadway play that was supposed to be done a few years ago.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

Baz directed a long commercial for Chanel starring Nicole Kidman (he calls it a film). Info here.

RafaelB

Second Unit
There was a stage version of Strictly Ballroom that inspired the movie but it was expanded upon, since the theatre piece ran only about 30 minutes.

Post-Moulin Rouge/La Boheme on Broadway, there was much talk about turning the red curtain pieces into stage adaptations and expanding upon them, as well.

Matt, I didn't know about the commercial. Thanks!

Rafael.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Rumour is that it's an adaptation of Xavier Herbert's monumental "Poor Fellow, My Country", a novel set in the Australian bush.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Oliver Stone's Alexander happened. After it tanked though there was talk that Baz might do his Alexander film afterall. It was probably just rumors though.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Moulin Rouge about an hour ago. When it finished, my flatmate turned to me and said, "They really need to make a stage musical of that." The thought had never occured to me before, although it seems obvious now. And then I come here and find out that it was once actually suggested as a possibility.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The movie does look fantastic. "Australia" is already considered one of this year's biggest Oscar hopefuls. Judging from that teaser it has a lot of the things that the Academy loves. If the movie proves successful, expect Fox to launch a huge Oscar campaign for it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats a great trailer, looks promising.

will this e a musical again or straight drama.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Well, despite Kidman's obviously botoxed face, this looks incredible. I hope for the best 'cause romantic epics like this don't come along all that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks