What's new

Austin TX. Meet? (1 Viewer)

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Kurtz of Sound Mind Audio is ready and willing to set up a demo for us. I've given him a few details but we really need to set a date so he can know how much time he has to get in the equipment he is wanting to. He's even talked about having some factory guys in. Colin, I strongly suggest you e-mail Brian as well and maybe give him a few details yourself so he can know how to prepare and what to expect. You can get him here [email protected] I'm still very much a newbie and don't know if I could give him the proper info.
------------------
-Kevin

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
I just received an email that you all were going to have a meet and I would like to attend. In fact, if you all don't mind coming out to the lake in Lago Vista, I will throw open my house for the meet. I have a nice home close to Lake Travis (you can see it from my deck and is within walking distance) and a modest home theater. I only have a Sony 35" 4:3 set (no projecter/screen; YET) but I do have the new Sony 9000ES DVD player. You can check out my equipment list using the following link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28804.html
If there is someone else that would like to host and has a nicer setup that would be fine with me. Otherwise as long as you don't mind the drive, my place is open to one and all for Saturday the 20th. I just ask that no one smokes in my house.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Well, if last time is any indication, I am the only one that smokes. I am going to try to quit, again. :) So hopefully by the 20th I will be smoke free.
As for lunch, how about TGIFridays. Or we could even go to Texas Land and Cattle Co. I have never been there before, but I hear the food is good. They have a new location at 620 and 183, near Lakeline mall. Just my 2 cents.
I am hoping to pick up some new speakers when I get my income tax check in, so I will really be interested in the demo this time. I am hoping to spend about $1,000. I don't need a sub, as I already have a decent one. So that means more for the other speakers. I have Technics, and Bose. I got the Bose before I knew better :).
I look forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting the new people.
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have an SVS sub we can listen too?
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again!

Frank Tang

Auditioning
Doug,
Shawn and I got ours last month, but as far as I know neither of us has any means of transporting them. My HT is in an extra bedroom in an apartment (seats 4 if everyone's skinny), so it's not too practical to demo it at my home...
If someone wants to haul it around and there's enough interest I'm willing to bring it. Otherwise, if you'd like, you could come by and check it out yourself.
-Frank
------------------

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Hey Frank & Shawn,
Where specifically do you live? If no one else wants to host this thing and it ends up being at my house, there is a possibility that I could transport it for you if you don't mind it being moved. I have a Polk PSW450 sub and I would like to compare it to the SVS sub that I have been hearing a lot about lately. Just let me know.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys, I hosted the first meet and would like to attend on the 20th if possible. Kevin, where is Sound Mind Audio?
Colin, if the 20th is it, and we have a host volunteered and chosen, what time do you want to meet? Say 12:00 at a restaurant? Friday's or Texas Land & Cattle by Lakeline sound fine to me. Looks like Kevin needs to schedule the audio store demo time, so we'd better finalize plans.
Later...

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
There have been no objections to the 20th, so let's go ahead with that date. As for a lunch venue - I suggest Texas Land & Cattle. I found the food at a TGI Friday's in Dallas to be rather disappointing. Are the ones in Austin any better???
Who's going to host? We had tentative offers to host from Doug_H and Frederick Falk. Let's figure out who's hosting. I should know in a few days what's happening with the store tour as well...
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hank- Sound Mind Audio is actually in Brian Kurtz's(owner) house. He has 8-9 systems set up in his house. He is off of Palmer somewhere. Probably has directions at the website www.soundmindaudio.com
Colin- Did you finally get in touch with Brian? He's usually pretty quick to respond. I just figured you could handle the details with him better.
------------------
-Kevin

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Kevin -
Brian hasn't answered the E-mail I sent him yesterday just yet. I'll keep you posted as I find out more.
All -
Frederick Falk has volunteered to host the meet. I'll let him provide more details as we get closer to the actual event.
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Well, it looks like I will be hosting my first HT meet and I need suggestions for what you would like to do to make this meet a success for you. If you take a look at my equipment list you will see I have a middle of the road system (for now) and I would certainly like to do comparisons with cables and subwoofers and such. Anyone that would like to bring their equipment over for comparison is highly encouraged to do so. Also, if you want to compare dts to DD that can be accomplished as well as my receiver will decode both. I will also be showing off my new TV and DVD player that came at Christmas so if you are interested in either of these, here is your chance to really test drive it before you buy.
And finally, for those that have done this before, any and all advice that will help to ensure this meet to be successful would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Tang

Auditioning
Jeff,
Well, I smoke, so if you aren't smoke free by the 20th, you won't be the only one.
and Frederick,
I live at Braker and 35. I'll get more details to you if you're still willing to transport it. Also, I don't smoke inside my own home, so you have nothing to worry about from me.
-Frank

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I just got word from Donna Kurtz (Brian Kurtz's wife) that Brian Kurtz will be out of town on business on January 20. That means we won't be visiting Sound Mind Audio for this meet. However, they are interested in having us over for the next meet (probably February-March).
In light of that, are there other suggestions of stores to visit? I'll take a look around and see who else is selling A/V stuff in Austin...
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Two stores I haven't been to are the new A&B location and the new Home Theater Store. List other suggestions and let's take a vote. Given the drive time to and from Frederick's, we may only have time to do one store - what do you think?
And we need to vote on a restaurant. Maybe we should pick one close to the store of choice.
Frederick, I'd suggest asking everyone to bring their favorite beverage and snacks. It'll be very informal, so don't worry about too many details. A DTS versus DD would be a good item to include. Also, how about demoing the difference a line conditioner makes in sound and picture? IF I finish my powered Tempest sonosub in time, I'll bring it along.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Hank,
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as A&B goes, they have some very nice dedicated theater rooms (four in all) and I know Jeromy very well as I bought a 300 disk CD player, tape player, TV and DVD player from him. I also purchased my DSS and A/V receiver from them but different sales people. If you want I can contact Jeromy and ask him if they would be willing to demo some of there stuff for us.
Drive time: approximately 30 minutes from 183 & 620 to my house. I was thinking we could car pool out to my house if there is interest. Otherwise I will provide maps to everyone that comes to lunch. If you cannot make lunch, I can email directions to you upon request.
Eating: There are plenty of places that would meet anyones budget on 183 between Burnet Rd and 620.
Smoking: I have an elevated deck that will be designated as the smoking area for those who smoke.
Drinks: I will provide plenty of soft drinks and anyone that wants may bring there own beer. I will caution those that want to partake of alcoholic beverages that 1431 is a bit tricky in the daylight and sober. At night it is even more difficult so I would recommend that you partake wisely and have a designated driver.
Food: I will also be provided snacks but those that wish to also contribute are very welcome. However, you do not have to contribute! There will be plenty for everyone.
Comparisons: I have 2 Monster HTS-3500 power conditioners and I would love to have someone bring something else from say Panamax or Tice or Power Audio to compare. I have very few DTS DVD's and a small collection of DD DVD's. If you have a reference CD or DVD please bring them. I have the S9000ES DVD/SACD player but I do not have a receiver with audio pass-through. If someone has a receiver that they would like to audition with my setup and they don't mind taking it down and hauling it out to my place, then bring it on.
More details will follow I am sure.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Frederick.
Your place sounds great. I will bring my DTS discs (about 25) so we can do some comparisons. I like the car pooling idea as well.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again!

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
The meet is on the 20th - for sure. The only thing that's fallen apart for the 20th is the Sound Mind Audio visit - which we'll try to get in at the next meet (probably 6-8 weeks after the January meet).
I'll blast out another E-mail and see if some of the other guys from previous meets want to come to this one...
------------------
- - -- - -
Colin Dunn

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
I spoke with Jeromy yesterday at A&B TV and he said that we could come over and he would show us around. HOWEVER, he works on commission and if the store is busy with lots of paying customers then we will not be able to monopolize his time. They do have one theater room setup with a DLP and CRT projectors for a side-by-side comparason as well as three other theaters with various sound and video equipment in them. Besides TV's they carry Krell, Rotel, Sherwood, Sony ES, Russound, Prosound, Sunfire and many more than I can recollect at this hour in the morning. They have a really great setup in their new building for those of you that have not been there yet. If anyone has any other suggestions on a place to meet other than this I am certainly open to suggestions. If there are none, then I suggest that we do an A&B TV tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks