What's new

Austin Powers:IMOM - is my disc going bad?? (1 Viewer)

Justin Gates

Agent
I just popped my Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery DVD. I havent watched it quite some time and its the first time I've watched it on my 51" Sony.

Anyway, I used to watch it on my 32" Sony Wega and I remember the picture being great. Well that seems to be no longer the case. I'm now seeing all kinds of artifacts, the worst being around the text displayed during the credits at the beginning of the movie.

The artifacts I'm seeing look like what you would see on an overly compressed jpeg.

I just cant believe I would have missed these artifacts before, but then again, I used to watch it on a smaller display.

Is it possible my disc is going bad? or is this just an outdated transfer that is in need of a re-release?

Craig W

Second Unit
Remember AP1 is only on a DVD9 (dual sided single layer each side) disc. One side for fullscreen and the other for widescreen. They used a higher compression back then since RSDL discs weren't being produced yet. MPEG compression artifacts are more noticeable on larger screens. Most older titles don't hold up as well on larger screens.

Today it is very uncommon for a film even if short not to get the DVD9 treatment which usually means higher bit rate and less artifacts.

Justin Gates

Agent
Well, there are still quite a few single layer releases coming out even recently and their picture quality hasnt suffered like this (MGM has quite a few releases like this with decent PQ). My guess would be the problem is older MGPEG compression schemes arent as efficient as newer ones.

I'm quite disappointed if this is just the quality of this release. I have 450 DVDs and this is the only one so far that has artifacts this bad on my 51". I'm hoping for a rerelease then cause this is almost unwatchable for me. Thats why I was hoping for the possibility that my disc is somehow going bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks