What's new

Austin Powers: Goldmember - Technical Issues (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

ozar

Agent
Real Name
bob
This is the first time my DVD player (Pioneer Elite DV-37) wouldn't play a new DVD. Will most retailers allow returns of opened DVDs, or are we stuck with something we can't really use?
TIA... :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, updated my RP91 to firmware 250 and experience the same probs: cannot pause/scan/ff/rew

I CAN Chapter Skip Forward and Back, and Stop. The RP91 remembers where you stopped so if you need a bathroom break, you CAN STOP the movie, but only press stop once and then when you press play again it will start up - so it's a poor man's workaround for no-pause-button.

RE: Subtitles being locked to "on" - they are on because subtitles 1 is for the subs that come on when they speak Japanese in the scene w/ the Japanese businessman. I think subtitles 2 is for regular subs. I don't think this is an error.

Sean, I don't think there will be a repressing. First of all, Rush Hour 2 did the same thing (as I guess all Infinifilm titles do) and there was no repressing. Those are the only two Infinifilm titles I own and it's more than just coincidence that those are the only two that show these symptoms on the RP91. And even with Firmware 250 Panasonic doesn't address the issue. I guess we should just be glad that Lord of the Rings is not an Infinifilm titles!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Workarounds for RP91 owners
1. You can't Pause - but you can STOP, and the first time you press stop the RP91 remembers where you were. As long as you don't press STOP again, you can press play and resume viewing at the last place you were at.
2. No Scanning - but you can press DISPLAY and input the time you want to go to, i.e. 1:02:45, in the film. And here's what is weird...once you do that, you can for a limited time, do the scanning, pausing, slow mo, etc. for a little while, but when you resume watching the film for a certain amount of time the functions are once again locked out.
Hope this helps!

Keir H

Second Unit
Getting pauses every 2 min or so on my JVC 723GD, but man does this disc sound and look good! So I am kinda :) but at the same time :angry:

ozar

Agent
Real Name
bob
Hey, guys & gals - for those of you with Pioneer DVD players that won't play Goldmember, here's the webpage at Pioneer's support section regarding firmware upgrades:
Pioneer Firmware Upgrades
It appears that the upgrades are free during the warranty period, but it also seems that you have to ship the player to them, and they return it at their expense after the upgrade is completed.
Hope this helps... :)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Same FFW problems here on my Panasonic RP-56. Also noticed the layer change at the very end of the movie right before "The End" pops up on the screen. It still paused but not during the movie makes it more reasonable.
Makes it more reasonable? Can you explain your thinking here? This movie contains the most RIDICULOUSLY placed layer change I've ever seen (even worse than Monsters Inc!) If it was okay to place the layer change just 3 minutes from the end of the movie then why put a layer change in there at all! It must have been possible to fit the WHOLE movie on a single layer. Grrrrrrrrrrrr, I despair.

Having said that, great movie, great picture and great sound. No problems with it, though I didn't try to pause, fast forward or rewind. I have a Sony DVP-7700.

John

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I have also had problems with Goldmember. The movie plays fine on in normal mode on my Samsung DVDN501 (DVD player w/ NUON chip). I found one glitch already which happens during when Britney Spears shows up in the dance scene (only if play in Infinfilm). Here is what happens, In the blue box it says ( see a scene which was cut from this sequence), if you select the see a scene which was cut from this sequence then the movie starts to glitch.

This glitch happens on my Samsung DVDN501.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
All player controls were disabled on my RP82, except for the Play, Stop and Menu buttons. I sure hope this was nto intentional and/or a sign for things to come. Personally the one thing I hate about the DVD format is the ability for authors to make DVDs which disable the player controls. I wonder if this is totally legal and if the issue was taken to court whether it would stand. If I was a player manufacturer the first thing I would do is make a player that does not allow for its controls to be disabled, but since I am not one I would be the first to buy such a player.

Sanjay

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
i am really irritated by this dvd. first of all i started off in a bad mood because i sent someone out to rent the "widescreen version". I made it very clear that i wanted the widescreen version, probably 5 times i said that. And they came home with the hack and scam version. Grrr.

But beyond that, the fact that the pausing and rewind/fastforward buttons only work "sometimes" is really irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks