What's new

Austin Powers 4??? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
He has to keep making Austin Powers. What else would he make?:D I know, I know, he directed Meet the Parents. That movies wasn't nearly as funny as people told me it was. I always expected Austing Powers 4 to be made before Goldmember came out. So it's not surprising, especially in the unoriginal atmosphere Hollywood works in.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was a bit disappointed with Goldmember, but I'd gladly check out another installment.
An interview with Chud.com indicates that Myers and Roach want to do the 'Moonraker' gig this time around.

R

RossTerry

i enjoyed Goldmember. i havent laughed that much since i first saw Dumb and Dumber in 1994.

i want to see more Austin Powers movies if they can stay funny.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously the scenario's they discussed for possible plots wouldn't work for AP4 (I don't think I'm spoiling anything there) but I would gladly welcome another one. AP3 was a lot better funnier than I expected.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
AP3 was a disappointment, but I loved the first two.

I want them to do something more Bond-ish, like hijacking a nuclear weapon again or threatening to blow up the Earth again. I don't want to see them go to different time eras again, simply because they barely did anything with that aspect in AP3 and the main vibe was the same in AP1 and 2.

What would be cool is if Austin came to America and was introduce to grunge rock and the "underground" scene.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I haven't seen Goldmember yet, but I still wouldn't mind seeing a fourth AP film. I think I'd rather them wait a few years, though. I know that Myers was planning on giving the series a rest until he came up with the idea for this one...and now it sounds like it's happening again.
Regardless, Jay Roach has now moved on to another sequel, Meet The Fockers, so we will have to wait a little while anyways. Then maybe he will film the Bangles farewell concert! :laugh:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
If AP4 will be doing the 'Moonraker' scene, then it would be halarious to maybe have a black character with several gold teeth playing 'Jaws'.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember when Austin went to Vegas. I'm talking about something different than him just coming to America.

And wasn't most of the stuff at the end of AP2 supposed to be making fun of Moonraker?

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The James Bond franchise has been a parody of itself for a long time--ridiculous, formulaic, clichéd, uninspired, and boring. Austin Powers is a parody of a parody. They are nothing more than cash cows for MGM, and New Line, respectively. I wish they could just call a truce and agree to not make more movies in either franchise.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
The James Bond franchise has been a parody of itself for a long time--ridiculous, formulaic, clichéd, uninspired, and boring. Austin Powers is a parody of a parody. They are nothing more than cash cows for MGM, and New Line, respectively. I wish they could just call a truce and agree to not make more movies in either franchise.
And the loud opinionated sound of a thread fart is here.
Thanks for participating in a thread you obviously have no interest in. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
They are nothing more than cash cows for MGM, and New Line, respectively. I wish they could just call a truce and agree to not make more movies in either franchise.
If they are cash-cows, what possible incentive would either studio have to stop making them. The studios are business first, art a distant second. Bizarre logic in your post Ben. btw I don't consider it a thread fart, the thread is about whether a fourth Austin Powers is anticipated/desired, and Ben simply stated his view on the matter. The Bond stuff was unnecessary, even though I agree with it. ;)
btw Jasen, whatever happened to that Manhattan trade we were supposed to do? I never heard back from you and then I found a PM a few months later. I felt like an asshole for not-responding. :b Treat this as a late response.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
Well, I can't say that I'm surprised that my post has aroused some dissent. :) Sorry, I had to get that out, as it should be obvious that I don't like either franchise. I do think that MGM and New Line do have every financial reason to keep making them. Conceptially, however, I don't think more movies can be justified.
Is there some aspect of James Bond movies that The Austin Powers has yet to make fun and and needs another sequel to do? Especially since the James Bond movies revel in spy movies clichés like gadgets, over-the-top villians, etc. Myers might as well make a parody of The Naked Gun movies.

Ben Tallen

Agent
You're missing a major distinction between James Bond and movies like Austin Powers, Ben. Bond films are first and foremost members of the action/spy genre, they cannot realistically be considered parody (no matter what you think of the quality of the writing). The self-deprecating humor in the film is not constant throughout, just the occasional bit as if to say, "Yes, we are aware that this 'guns and girls' thing is a bit clichéd, but it's still fun!" Humor is a distant second or third on the list what a Bond film is attempting. Just because you find the Bond franchise ridiculous does not make it a parody.

However, I do agree with you in that there really is no reason to make another Austin Powers. A fourth movie would just be treading over the same ground (as they did to large extent in Goldmember).

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I don't mind the Austin Powers franchise, but I would love to see Mike Myers doing something else for awhile first. He can be a pretty funny guy, but to be honest I'm a bit tired of his Austin Powers shtick!Do something new and original.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think it should be noted that Tomorrow Never Dies is what I consider to be one of the best Bond movies. It was also the next to last one they made. Just because it's a long running franchise with a lot of cliches doesn't mean it can't be good (though the last one was kinda bad).

Anyhoo, if they do make AP4 they should try to get source material. AP1 and 2 made fun of Bond and all those other spy movies, but AP3 was more original in it's comedy, and it's also really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks