What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Okay Doc, you're in danger of being excommunicated from fajita/poker gatherings. If you attend the next one, some tribute to the host will be in order. ;-)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Raelene and I just returned from the 48 Hour Film Project screening. If anyone has a free evening tomorrow, I highly recommend you go. It starts at 6:00 at the Arbor Great Hills Cinema. Be there no later than 5:30 if you want a decent seat--there will be a line.

There are 24 entries this year, each 4-7 minutes in length. In my opinion, the best two films of the bunch were, oddly enough, a sci-fi and a musical! Contestants aren't allowed to choose their genre, and both of those teams more than rose to the occasion. Good stuff. The only real drawback was the crappy sound. I talked with the director of "Arrivals", the sci-fi, and he was ticked about the lousy sound since he spent a lot of time mixing in LFE content into his film, and it never got heard.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
6-28-06 was the last post for any activity on this movie chat.
So let me tell you whats going on.

-OK.... finally the movie THE DESCENT hits US theaters this Friday. Go see it if you want a scare. Also I have the dvd if anyone perfer to see it that way.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Hey Hank -- I've sent a couple of emails your way from my hotmail account with no response, maybe they're blocked by your spam filter?

Anyone up for a movie night sometime in upcoming weeks?

SET TALK ON
Humprey and i were talking about WMV disc. so lets have a short notice meeting this saturday 09/30.

JOIN at the Chuy's on north Lamar
REM (south of Braker 78753) 6:30 PM

IF the dinner is over
THEN explain directions to house
GOTO home theater
blow it up
ELSE
meet again in several weeks when a DVI input is available
ENDIF

Full convergence computer and home theater. JBL sysnthesis ONE subs, HTPC AND 1080p 9 inch CRT

addendum

I have these WMV discs
Step into Liquid
Magic of FLight
Coral Reef Adventure
T2

the system has 720p/ 1080i input
if you want to bring a blue laser player you are welcome.
512-458-8292
chris

Humphrey

Stunt Coordinator
That's about what time we left last night. Chris said in a couple of weeks he'd have a way to hook HDMI/DVI 1080P up to it and was thinking of another meet sometime around there. Would love to see a blu-laser HD player on his setup. His CRT (9" guns) is schweeeet!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
Even the HTPC upscaled DVD looked as good as I've ever seen at that size (120").
You guys missed a good one. Maybe next time.
AND Chris, thanks for hosting! :emoji_thumbsup:

thanks for showing, the sample DVDs Ken brought rock. esp the all SCIFI.

the THX trailer collection had several I did not remember. eg SIMPSONS.

TIPS FOR SMoOTH 1080p WMV PLAYBACK ON ATHLON 2800+

DO NOT use motherboard sound
DO NOT use SPDIF, it will not be 6 ch.
DO USE 6 channel sound card like Audigy
DO turn off all networking after license is acquired, license lasts for days.

DO REBOOT after changes in sound settings
DO turn off all the applications you can.
USE powerDVD 6 or 7 that supports WMV and H264
DO use default settings to minimise picture preocessing in computer.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hey guys. I don't know if anyone's following this thread anymore, but I need a favor. Would someone who owns a Panasonic AE900 be willing to come over this week and do an A/B comparison to my InFocus IN76? I'm seeing some interesting motion effects here and there that I didn't used to notice as much on my CRT. I'd like to determine if it's the projector or something on the DVDs I just hadn't noticed before. If you have an HDMI dvd player that'd be cool too.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see that too. I have been considering upgrading my projector and was looking at the AE900, so would like to see one in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks