Austin Meet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Dunn, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    We haven't had a full-blown HTF meet in the Austin area for a while, so I'm starting a thread to plan one. How would a meet around late October/early November be?
    There are still some equipment dealers we haven't visited yet, such as Sound Mind Audio and Whetstone Audio. On the software side of the house, Fry's Electronics is now open in Austin, and they have a large DVD section to browse.
    So does anyone else want a home theater meet? If we go for an early-to-mid-November time frame, I may be able to host ... but October is looking pretty busy for me so far (and I probably won't have the house presentable in time for an October meet).
    So let's start making some plans...
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

YES I am definitely up for one. It's been ages since I've been able to make it to one. Any weekend is fine for me EXCEPT Nov. 3-4, that's the regional Madisound DIY 2001 speakerbuilding competition weekend in Wichita Falls [​IMG]
    SoundMind Audio and Whetstone are both on my 'to visit' list, and both get my approval.
    Mark
    [Edited last by Mark Hayenga on October 02, 2001 at 12:13 AM]

3. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Yes, I too would be interested in another meet. October is pretty full, but after that I should be free. I have visited Fry's and they also have a coffee shop in the middle of the store that would make a great place to meet for lunch and chit-chat before going to visit a HT shop. Of course, you could spend the better part of the day going through all of their stuff. My only disappointment was seeing a seperate HT room dedicated to Bose audio (that was their high end audio selection). I guess they are trying to be the Kmart of audio. At least they have some great bargins on DVD's and will give CC a run for their money. Competition is a beautiful thing. At least for us consumers.
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Colin, what a coincidence! Mark came over Saturday to cut some MDF for his latest speaker project and we both agreed to send you e-mails encouraging you to host a meet. Yes, November sounds great. Frederick's suggestion to meet at Fry's is a good one.
    Frederick, I too was shocked to see that the elevated theater room with a high-end looking exterior was a Bose demo room. BTW, I'm headed for Cozumel Sunday morning for some prime SCUBA diving.
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"
    [Edited last by Hank Frankenberg on October 02, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

5. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    If I host the meet, I suggest we shoot for Saturday, November 10.
    I, too, was disappointed that Fry's had a huge special theater room just for B*se speakers. But that's not unusual among electronics retailers. Given that B*se spends their money on marketing rather than on the actual product, I wouldn't be surprised if B*se subsidized the room's construction, or is renting it out so their products can be showcased.
    Fry's is like the "K-Mart of audio," in that they don't sell any true high-end lines. Because I've already built up a nice sound system, there's nothing I want in their audio department. For video and software, your chances are better. They have lots of widescreen RPTVs on the floor, and even a couple of widescreen direct-view tubes. They have lots of DVDs and often have good sale pricing on a few titles every week. They also have a wide selection of computer parts and peripherals for the HTPC enthusiasts among us...
    For lunch, I don't recommend the Fry's coffee shop. They don't have a lot of actual food selections there; it's more like a place to grab a snack while on a lengthy shopping expedition.
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

6. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey count me in. Hopefully by Nov. I will have my new little NEC LT150 projector and I could bring it along for shits and giggles. Anyone want to buy a nice F-150 truck? I can't wait to check out your set-up Collin, after I saw your copy of Citzen KCane the other night I had to stop on my way home and pick-up a copy.
    Greg

7. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Greg -
    I guess you really liked that NEC VT540 at Nils Luehrmann's place last week.
    I just looked up the LT150, and it appears to be an XGA-resolution DLP projector. That would have even less of a "screen door" effect - the pixel grid should be almost invisible. Do you know if you can see the "rainbow" effect with DLP? Some people say they see rainbow flashes of color when they blink or move their eyes when watching a single-chip DLP picture. I have never seen this effect, so I guess I am not sensitive to it. But if you haven't seen the LT150 yet, try one out to make sure you aren't bothered by this.
    The LT150 is lacking a zoom lens, so the only way to adjust the picture size on the LT150 is to move the projector closer or further away from the screen. But if you can achieve the correct picture size by placing the projector, you won't need the zoom in a fixed home theater installation.
    The LT150 lists for $3,295, according to Projector Central. (This is a change from earlier, when they said it cost $1,000 more than the VT540 - which currently lists at $3,995 - or $700 MORE than the LT150!). I'm glad to see DLP prices have come down somewhat, because they just weren't competitive earlier in the year (low resolution, high price).
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn
    [Edited last by Colin Dunn on October 02, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

8. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

Hey Collin
    I guess I'm not to sensitive to the rainbow effect. I've seen the runco dlp a few times and haven't noticed. I'm also planing on getting a progressive player to go with this and hopefully later I can change the computer over to htpc duty. I already have a good video card I just need a digital output sound card. I did just get a call a few hours ago from someone wanting my truck so who knows maybe that new little projector is in my near future.
    Later
    Greg

9. Hank Frankenberg

Like I said, forget Fry's (the host has the majority voting rights). Serioulsy, I'd rather go to a HT-oriented store than to a mass merchandiser like Fry's or Best Buy - I can do those on my own for their DVD specials.
    ------------------

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

11. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Thomas -
    You are certainly welcome to join the HT meet in Austin ... if you're willing to make the 1.5-hour drive from San Antonio to get to it.
    Everyone -
    Which of the following three dates works best for you?
    November 3
    November 10
    November 17
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

12. Hank Frankenberg

November 10 or 17 looks good from here currently.
    ------------------

13. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Ditto

14. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Greg Risley -
    Before you get that LT150, I just saw an ad here on the HTF for the Toshiba MT7. From the specs, it looks like an improved Sony 10HT. Native 16x9 format, 1280x720 resolution, 400:1 contrast, 1000 lumens. They sell it for about $5,000. Here is a link:
    http://www.hometheaterpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=913&itmname=Toshi ba+TLP%2DMT7
    It is LCD, so if you're super-sensitive to the "screen door" effect, you may not like it. Because of its high resolution, the screen door won't be as bad as the older SVGA-resolution (800x600) LCDs...
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn
    [Edited last by Colin Dunn on October 06, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

15. Frederick_Falk

Any one of the three dates will work for me. Any thoughts on where to have a HT demo (store-wise that is)? Colin, I am looking forward to checking out your new system.

16. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn
    Let's shoot for November 10.
    As for a store demo - I was planning on re-contacting Sound Mind Audio to see if they're available to do a demo on that day.
    Also, we haven't been to Whetstone Audio (on Lamar) yet.
    I will provide an update as soon as I find out more...
    ------------------
    - - -- - -
    Colin Dunn

17. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

The 10th is good for me. I would like to check out Whetstone, they carry the Krix line that I already have for front L/R so maybe I'll have to pickup a new center from them on our visit.
    Greg
    [Edited last by Greg Risley on October 09, 2001 at 01:11 PM]

18. Frederick_Falk

I will second Greg's motion. All in favor?
    So, now let's decide on where to meet for lunch. Any suggestions? Colin, are you leaning towards a specific place to meet for lunch?

19. Hank Frankenberg

Aye! Now don't let Colin choose the restaurant, or he'll pick an outrageaously expensive place again [​IMG]
    ------------------

20. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Hi I came to the HTF meet held at Waterloo last January?, anyhow I am going to try and make this one.
    If I may throw in my $0.2 worth on the place we visit.
    First does Whetstone Audio exist. Their website says nothing more than hello. I have never reached anyone on the phone at the advertised number, and a store does not exist at the published address. At least I couldn't find it on two tries. Thus, I place that is that hard to deal with isn't high up on my list of places to visit.
    Second Sound Mind Audio is great. Brian Kurtz is definately one of top three salesman in town if not the best, however Brian runs his business out of his house. Brian does not have walk-ins you have to schedule an individual listening session with him, and space is very limited, but man is he a great guy. I have only visited him once, but I definatley want to give him some future business. My visit started at 8pm and went on till midnight, and it was the best experience I had ever had at an audio store. If you want to visit Brian call now, however for a group of 5+ people, Brian may prefer to just put in his van whatever items we are interested in hearing and driving over to the house we meet at to set up a demo there. To read more about Brian and Sound Mind Audio go to http://www.soundstage.com/yfiles/ and look at Nov 99 and Dec 00 installments.
    Anyhow, Colin please add me to your email file for future meets and count me in.
    Thanks,
    Scott