What's new

Austin DIY HT Projects (1 Viewer)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
OK guys, I am heading to Austin today. I will be there until about 7pm when I will leave for Dallas. I will get back in Austin on Sunday afternoon. If anyone wants to get together, check out Rich's cabinets if he's available, listen to dipoles, or just shoot the breeze lemme know! Heck we could even do a HT store crawl if anyone's up for it.

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
Sunday afternoon will work great. I'll PM you with my address and phone.

Hank,
I'll PM you as well, since it's been a while since you've been here.

I'll give everyone fair warning.. We've been working on our garden shed, so garage and the backyard are a bit of a mess. The speakers are in the garage, and are almost finished (I have a couple more top coats to go). See you on Sunday.. any time in particular?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mark: do you remember the photos of Dan's (Adire) first big XBL^2 motor? A monster with stacked circumferential neo's. Remember the video of the bizarre Xmax? Wow! Are you trying to outdo him? This will be interesting indeed. Igor, aka Scott H., hasn't been seen for months - evil Doc has had Igor chained to the laboratory in the basement.

Rich: Sunday sounds good - how about mid-afternoon (3:00 - 4:00)?

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

3:00 - 4:00 on Sunday sounds good. Be warned, everything is a mess.

Mark,

Give me a call if you need directions. BTW, just to level set you, I'm still learning the speaker building hobby, and am certainly not the craftsman Hank is, but I'd be glad to show you what I have.

Rich

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hank: Are you talking about the Parthenon he showed off at CES? Yeah, I've seen videos of that thing. It looked like it needed to be at the adult film convention across the street :) I'm not planning anything that extreme. I'm not so worried about output of this thing so much as other (unnamed :)) factors. There are plenty of big, loud subwoofers out there - I'd lose that game fast. This is something different. BTW, you have a PM.
Rich: Don't worry dude, my last veneering project was absolutely horrid. I went to laminates after that. I'm sure yours is better than mine.
Also, 3-4 sounds fine for me.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
MarK: oh yes, that's the one, and at that CES he showed the prototype of his Extremis.
"unnamed factors"...hmmmmmm.....

Okay dudes, 3:00-ish at Rich's. I have a date with a green-eyed blonde for the Oasis tomorrow evening, so I have to pace myself ;-)

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be interested in joining Hank and Mark checking out Rich's project tomorrow. I will either need directions or have to come to Hanks place earlier and ride with or follow him over.

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I made it over, but missed Hank and Mark. Rich has a nice Home Theater setup. I got some good tips and ideas for my HT while I was there. I'm jealous of all the shop equipment he has.:)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
BTW, anything Hank tells you guys about my back-of-the-envelope calculations made at the table saw are complete, unabashed lies. Lies I tell you! :)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Also, did someone with a 512-554-XXXX phone number try to call me around ~6:30 last night? My folks took a call for me but I don't know who it was from.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
MARK WARNING! MARK WARNING! Okay, I went 'advanced' and I still don't see the font enhancement tools. ANYWAY, this will serve as fair and prudent warning that no one should let Mark operate their table saw WITHOUT a signed liability waiver!! That boy prefers to push wood across a table saw with his hands! Every sane power tool operator knows that you should use push sticks, etc to push wood over a table saw. Norm would be appalled.

Mark: I haven't finished sweeping up from your slicing MDF on my table saw yesterday, but if I find a finger or two, I'll pack 'em in dry ice and ship 'em overnight to your choice of surgeons.

Also, that 512/554-____ is most likely Nils' cell phone. He left me a message also.

AND, that TC Sounds new web site is nice. How 'bout that new SHALLOW 10" driver? 3" mounting depth! There's your ultra-small cube sub for inconspicuous home and car sub apps.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Bah, liability waivers and NDA's are best done with a firm handshake and a man's word (try telling that one to the lawyers). Besides, I have better feel for what the wood is doing with my bare hands. Ya gotta be one with the saw, it's like a zen thing :)
And I thought I did a good job of cleaning up? If not feel free to put me to work next time to make up for it. The only place I'll ever leave a mess is Jonathan's, because he won't be able to find sawdust in that garage of his anyway :) (Just kidding. He makes me vacuum there too).
Somewhere I read that the slim 10" was also intended for in-wall installations, since it will just fit inside a standard wall with a baffle board attached to the studs. They're also coming out with a 12" but it will be too deep for that application.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Does anyone want to split a sheet of REALLY nice veneer?
I am in need of a 2x8 or 4x4 sheet of veneer (I need to cover 6 sides of a 13x13 box) and have fallen in LOVE with quilted maple...

I have found a source that occasionally has high grade quilted maple, paperback or bubble-free backing, available for $16.50/square foot. I would like to split an 8x4 sheet with somebody if possible.
Also I would like to hire somebody to do the veneering and finishing. I would like a very light, VERY glossy natural finish similar to what you see in the guitar pictures. I am very much considering Hank but would also like recommendations for others too. This is mucho dinero for me for veneer but I really want this to look special, it would be nice if I could find a professional to do it so on the off chance it turned out bad I could bitch and stiff them on the check (can't do that to Hank :)).
Lemme know if anyone is interested!

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
PS - it pisses me off to no end that they use solid blocks of that stuff for guitars. so incredibly wasteful, people should be shot.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I can do it and would consider splitting the cost to get some into my inventory, since I've never had anyone ask for cabinets veneered in QM, but, you never know. Here's the kicker: you know I do hand-rubbed Danish oil finish that is fairly glossy, but does not compare in glossiness to the guitar photos. That can only be done by spraying lacquer or polyurethane. I don't have spray equipment. Wipe-on poly, with enough coats and drying time would get there...Give me a call and we can discuss.

BTW, what source quoted you $16.50/ft^2??

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
The 16.50 was what they quoted some guy on HTGuide, if you check the 'some nice veneer' thread in their DIY section it's towards the end of the thread (pg 3 or 4). It was from Oakwood Veneer IIRC, they haven't gotten back to me with my individual quote (I am also looking at heavy tiger stripe/fiddleback maple).

Users who are viewing this thread