What's new

Aussie's - Harry Potter - just love them! (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Bah! It just shows $2Warners' complete contempt and disdain for the R4 market.
How is releasing movies at reasonable prices that would never otherwise see the light of day in Australia showing complete contempt and disdain for the R4 market? Sure, the P&S release of Harry Potter was stupid, and the adverse reaction will probably guarantee Warners won't do this again for a major release, but otherwise Warners have done a great job of releasing smaller or classic titles that simply would never be released in PAL because the costs involved in re-mastering a film which will probably sell in the hundreds or low thousands in Australia couldn't be commercially justified. Yes, it's a compromise, but it's way better than the alternative: nothing.

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Sorry Julian,
But I can't bring myself to think of $2Warner in any positive light.
I honestly don't belive they are interested in releasing quality products in R4 - if so, why did we get the NTSC pan & scan version of Willy Wonka??
What about the recent "new" release of Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves as a flipper??
Harry Potter in pan & scan in R4 was a stupid decision, which they could have corrected, but they chose not to. (Especially when the widescreen R2 version is dual R2/R4 encoded!!) Talk about D'oh!!
$2Warner did not respond to my email, my snail mail, and were frankly rude, condescending and un-interested over the phone. From my perspective, these actions add up to $2Warner's contempt for me as a customer. :frowning:
I've said enough on this issue - shutting up now!
Angela

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it's a reference to the belief of most Aussie DVD/HT aficionados that Warner's products belong in 'nothing over $2' shops.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I believe it's a reference to the belief of most Aussie DVD/HT aficionados believe that Warner's products belong in 'nothing over $2' shops.
Most? A vocal few videophiles (as opposed to actual film buffs), perhaps, who grossly overstate the benefits of PAL over NTSC without acknowledging that format's draw-backs. Personally, I think it's great that films like Now, Voyager, Calamity Jane, Being There, Joe vs the Volcano and many other catalogue titles which would never see the light of day are being released in all their remastered (and in the case of widescreen films) anamorphic glory for such reasonable prices.

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I believe it's a reference to the belief of most Aussie DVD/HT aficionados believe that Warner's products belong in 'nothing over $2' shops.
Which, after currency conversion, would mean these discs belong in the "nothing over $1" shops in the US :D
Angela

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks