Aussie Exclusive LOTR 5 dvd collector's edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 28, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

3. Adrian_P

Adrian_P Stunt Coordinator

Looks to me to be exactly the same as the US release with a heftier price tag. I could probably import that same release from the US for about $120 - 130AU compared to the $175AU listed at EzyDVD.

Still going to stick with the 4 - Disc anyways from the US.

4. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Only the R1 versions have the burnt-in elves subs and 'The Shire....' titles, PAL versions have player generated ones (this applies to the theatrical cut DVD's, I assume they'll do the same with the extended cut..).

It's only a small thing, but it does make the R1 version slightly preferable....

5. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

6. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

7. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I have a question. I have a Toshiba sd1200 that is multizone, and i havn't really bought any proper movie dvd's from other regions, only music ones. I find that the quality from what i've seen is not real good, and the colors change and brightness/contrast etc. This is the reason i havn't imported any R1 titles that i really want. Coz there are so many awesoem R1 dvds with great packaging etc,but i cant afford it just for that if the movie looks crap. Is my dvd player just bad at using NTSC, or is this the same as other players? LOTR is my favorite movie ever, and i want the best vers available so i really dont know what to do!

8. Harry Callaghan

Aussie only?????

Trust me - Australia is not getting its own 'special' edition folks. They'll get the same as us in New Zealand, which just so happens to also be in R4, and an extended version that is basically the same as everyone else too.

The 'this offer available to Australian residents only' is because ezydvd gets a lot of custom from overseas, but ezydvd will not ship this edition offshore at that 'special aussie only' price. The message also works to discourage orders, or enquiries to order from overseas.

Sounds like its not the cheapest version anyway.

9. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Given the size of the package and weight (with bookends etc) they probably dont want to ship overseas.

I am still hoping the UK version from Entertainment in Video includes the 5th disk. Currently does not as I believe they are having rights problem as the National Geographic disk has already been released by another company here. Although I thought the copy in the collectors box was going to be a new version ?

10. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Yes, one of the guys from Ezydvd, Jim I think, posted on the europe's TheDVDForums.com in regards to the same exact thread that they're "Exclusive" only in terms of shipping exclusively to australian addresses because they bookends are heavy and more than half the packages won't arrive in the condition they left and they'd get lots of returns and waste money reshipping this product.

11. Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Well, speaking as an Australian on this list, I must say that Village Roadshow have priced themselves out of the market with this one and I will be taking my dollars offshore to Amazon in Canada where I can get it shipped for approximately AUD$100 - the cheapest I have been able to find at the local etailers is around the AUD$140 mark.

regards, Tim...

12. BrettisMckinney

I also want to ship if from canada, but i'm a bit worried coz the packaging might get damaged or transfer might not be as good etc. ITs stressing me out! I've never imported before but this is one dvd i dont want to get a crap version of!

13. Tim Fleming

Don't worry, I have shipped many times from Amazon (not Canada though) and they use good solid packaging that includes those air filled plastic bag thingies (they look like mininature pillows) to cushion the contents. This seems to be standard Amazon practice if my experiences with Amazon US, UK, and Japan are anything to go by.
    I am sure that the transfer will be just fine and I believe that there was an issue with machine generated subtitles in the R4 version of the Theatrical release (for the Elvish language scenes) and that the R1 version offered the apparently better option on non-machine generated subtitles... don't ask me for details [​IMG]
    As for the bookends, they are made from a substance called Polystone which is very durable and highly unlikely to be damaged in shipping.
    If I were you I would bite the bullet and order (in fact I did [​IMG]).
    regards, Tim...

14. BrettisMckinney

Thanks Tim, you've given me a boost! Can you tell me how much shipping is Roughly? So you are ordering from the american amazon yeah? I heard canada exchange rates are much better which is why i though of getting from there. That www.dvdsoon.com has it for like $76 Cad which converts to around $91Aus..which is really good, dont know about shipping though.

15. Tim Fleming

I have ordered my Collector's Edition box from Amazon Canada - if you use the first time customer coupon (CANADASMAG5T), you will get an additional $10 Canadian off the price bringing the total cost including shipping to $85.02 Canadian or approximately $100 Australian.

So I would think that Amazon Canada is actually cheaper than DVDSoon once you include the cost of shipping in your DVDSoon order... also, I have heard that DVDSoon's packaging can leave a bit to be desired (something I will be able to confirm or refute after tomorrow when I pick up a delivery from them at my local post office).

All things considered, I would say that the Amazon Canada deal is the best if you are using the new customer coupon I mentioned above. But be quick as I am not sure what the expiry date on it is.

regards, Tim...

16. BrettisMckinney

Great! Thanks for the info Tim. Do they let you know on the sites how much the shipping will be? Coz i have seen no-where that indicates how much to ship to australia. It must say once you've started ording it i guess. Yeah, if you could post how the shipping was from dvdsoon that would be great coz i'm about to order a fair bit from there.

17. BrettisMckinney

Hehe, sorry to bombard with posts, but Tim, i've been to the amazon site and cant find anything about new customer coupons! Is it under a special section or something?

18. JustinW

JustinW Extra

I'm not sure about the Canadian site but I seem to recall reading somewhere for the UK Amazon site that you need a referral from an existing customer, maybe it's the same sort of deal.

19. Tim Fleming

Brettis,

I actually included the coupon in my post above. It is:

CANADASMAG5T

Copy and paste the above code into the appropriate field on the final screen before you confirm your order at Amazon Canada - if I recall correctly it is on the right portion of the screen just below where all of the item and shipping costs are displayed. Once you have pasted the code into the field, click on the Apply button to apply the discount to your order - it will show up displayed just below the shipping charge.

By the way, the shipping charge at Amazon Canada is CA$7.98 to Australia (they count it as a single DVD)... but as I said, the CA$85.02 I was quoting includes that shipping charge.

Note that you have a couple of shipping options including Standard International and Expedited International (I have heard that often Standard ends up arriving quicker than Expedited... and it is cheaper!). If you want the CA$7.98 option ensure that the Standard shipping option is checked. By the way, they outline all of their shipping charges in their Help.

Just for the record, DVDSoon charges CA$4.99 shipping bringing the order to a total of CA$81.97 shipped (AUD$96) - I think that for my own peace of mind and for the sake of just AUD$4, I would still go with Amazon Canada.

regards, Tim...

20. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

A few points.

Based on ordering from both DVDSoon and Amazon US I am happier with packaging used by Amazon. For normal disks DVD Soon are fine its just I am worried what they will do with this large but fragile package.

Amazon declare the real value of the order not sure about Australian customs but in the UK you would definitely be caught and have to pay VAT and import duty. DVDSoon declare all orders as only C$12 per item even boxsets ! although this may be pushing it.

DVDSoon charge on order, Amazon on shipping.

Buying from both means you will get the Canadian version from Alliance who distribute New Line films there. Therefore based on the 2 disk LOTR and their other releases you will get dual langauge (English & French sleeve). I know some object to this. They also add French tracks so for 2 disk US version got English Dolby 5.1 & 2.0 in Canada it was English Dolby 5.1 and French Dolby 2.0 not sure what they will do for this.