Aurios

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Austin, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I don't know if anybody has tried these little wonders out yet here, but I have been very impressed after just a couple of days.

Has anybody else tried them?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

never tried em Mark but did you just ever consider going down to the local skate shop and just pick up a set made for either skateboards or in-line skates and then maybe just place a little stainless steel ball in the hole? isolation for frequencies around 1 hz sounds like earthquake. you know, you could probably rig something up using a laser pointer and a mirror to magnify the displacement to visually estimate if the product had any effect on vibration reduction. yeah, i know it's not the ears but might be kind of cool. on the other hand you might want to get an isolation table like from Newport. out of curiousity, what about vibrations that are transmitted by the air directly to the components?

3. Mark Austin

Chu,

4. Mark Austin

From Vistek:

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if you place a big enough ball bearing on top of the hole in the in-line skate bearings it looks a little like the picture i saw of the aurios. toss me a link for the one you picked up, maybe i saw something different.
    newport is a company that makes a variety of anti-vibration tables employing both active and passive approaches. long time ago, we were doing some Raman Spectroscopy with a home-brew setup (lasers, etc) and were having problems with vibrations from several sources: people walking in the halls, elevators, and a subway that ran pretty close to the building. wound up getting an isolation table from Newport on which the equipment was mounted. not cheap though but they do come up used.
    heck it's too cold to be kicked out of the house! I just figured you might want to investigate an approach (sort of like a frankenstein seismograph) that might let you visually determine if the product is actually damping. i mentioned it in total seriousness (figured you could use one of those $5 laser pointers out there).

6. Mark Austin

I have the middle sized one.
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Austin

I might give it a shot with the laser. Over a 15-20 foot distance any vibration should be magnified sufficiently, don't you think?

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i think so mark. you could probably rig a piece of graph paper on the wall. i'd think you'd probably want to mount the laser off your HT system with the mirror being fixed to whatever you've got your bearing mounted to. maybe use a bit of blue tack to temporarily fix it in place. and maybe do something like play pink noise at a reasonable level. that way thing's would be relatively constant. all for the sake of science, yes?! i'm not going to question what it is that you're hearing, after all we're still in the holidays! I just figured if you bought it on the strength of it reducing vibration, then maybe we can put our heads together and take a stab at seeing something like a before and after. further away we put the 'graph paper', then the more movement will be magnified. make sense? if you've got kids and they're old enough, might make for a fun mr. wizard thing too! Happy New Years Mark!