Auricaps: anyone try changing their capacitors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Hirsch, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Scott_Hirsch

Scott_Hirsch Auditioning

Hi Gang

Anyone know about Auricaps and their application in Receivers? My understanding is they are high quality capacitors that kick butt over those supplied in the receiver. They require to be soldered into the audio ouput and cost about $50. Whats the word?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i wouldn't do it while my unit was under warranty. have they provided some sort of performance curves, pre and post?

3. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

Check out "msn.com", there is an article on these caps were the author claims "nirvana" from them, and mentions some little tube amps he swears by.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that's the typical application i've seen them in also. but after dropping $50 with no hope of return, i'd be wanting to experience a bit of nirvana too.

5. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of tube monoblocks that I have changed caps a few times on I would not swear to a big difference but maybe a slight difference although I never spent anywhere near $50 on a cap ..I do have a friend who swears by Teflon caps that do cost a bit of $$....

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Replacing the capacitors on a receiver would probably be pretty useless, especially a lower-cost one. They're definitely much better than the low quality ones that go in there, but I doubt it would be a worthwhile, or even noticeable improvement... Maybe if you replaced all the signal path parts you'd get somewhere, but you're still limited by the quality of the power supply and the circuit design. One capacitor probably won't do much. This is different for some tube (and other) amps where the circuit is very simple and that capacitor may be the only one in the signal path.

I guess it really wouldn't hurt to try if you have good caps lying around, but it could void your warranty so it might not be a good idea.