What's new

aureal sq2500 sound card + win2k = problems (1 Viewer)

Robin_A

Auditioning
I am having quite a difficult time trying to get win2k to co-operate with my aureal sq2500 sound card. I can't seem to get the sq2500 to output a 5.1 dolby digital or dts signal. It worked fine in win98 but in win2k it doesn't work at all for me. I am using and athlon 750, with asus k7v mobo. what I'm using for the sq2500 is the wdm12.01.2559 beta drivers.
any help would be appreciated!
-robin-

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
My guess would be that you're hosed.
With Aureal out of business, you can probably count on the drivers never being updated. You'll most likely have to get a new sound card.
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Robin,
I have the Diamond Monster Sound MX300, which uses the Aureal chipset and I'm also having similar problems with it.
My biggest problem comes when I'm listening to music and scrolling though websites. The sound just stops playing and won't respond past that point. I cut the audio program and reload, no dice. It seems to work fine in Win98 but not in 2K. I've downloaded the most recent drivers from the Diamond website and installed them (trying to alleviate this problem after using the native 2K drivers) but same result. Actually, I'm receiving a message from the Diamond startup tool that the hardware isn't installed/responding however it's playing music fine. What exactly the problem is, I haven't locked down. Perhaps I'm still using the native drivers and the new drivers never actually saw the hardware in the first place?
Help!
Thanks.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Getting a Vortex2 card to work properly in win2k can be tricky (esp if you have a VIA-based mobo), but obviously worth it given the number of people still clinging to their cards :) The best way to go is to install the beta 2559 WDM drivers (per instructions on vortexofsound ) and then apply the register fix.
John,
diamond doesn't have any Win2k drivers for the MX300, so whatever you installed prolly made things worse. uninstall whatever you installed and install the 2559 beta drivers. Apply the fix (linked to by Rob) and everything should be ok.
Joel,
Microsoft has strongly hinted that they are rewriting the Vortex1/2 drivers for WinXP, so there's no reason to ditch the cards just yet. The current RC2 Build of XP has newer Vortex drivers built-in, but these are basic drivers and don't support A3D.
-Matt
------------------
My DVD collection

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Joel,
Microsoft has strongly hinted that they are rewriting the Vortex1/2 drivers for WinXP, so there's no reason to ditch the cards just yet. The current RC2 Build of XP has newer Vortex drivers built-in, but these are basic drivers and don't support A3D.
D'oh! I stand corrected. :)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Rob: Yep. Ye old Asus K7M mobo with the Via chipset. I downloaded the 4in1 update but it just didn't want to crack.
Matt: Got rid of 'em right after I logged in today.
Thanks for the links and help, guys. I'm off to see if it works.
------------------
cwmddd.gif
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Report: So far, so good. Several hours of testing resulted in only one minor blurb in mp3 playback (which may have been the mp3 itself).
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks