What's new

Aura shakers vs. Sony SA-WM40 (2 Viewers)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I know that under ideal circumstances bass shakers should only be used to enhance the movie experience for an already complete system with a real subwoofer. Having just moved, I no longer have a good place for my old SA-WM40 in the "theater" area, and was wondering if a pair of Aura shakers, if properly placed, amplified and calibrated (volume) could serve as an adequate replacement for the SA-WM40? My receiver always crosses over the sub output at 80 or 60. Having never experienced tactile transducers in person, I turn to you for guidance!
EDIT
I would probably mount the transducers to the underside of the queen-size futon which is in the middle of the listening area. It is very heavy, and has a metal frame. I would mount them to an MDF board or something.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
You can't caliberate 'em with a sound meter. You gotta calibrate 'em with your butt.

Find a home for the sub. You'll need it too.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that the bass shakers can't substitute for a sub. In fact, using the shakers may make you feel the lack of a sub more acutely, because there will be notes you can feel but not hear.

There may be a perfectly good reason for mounting the shakers to a board instead of attaching them directly to the metal frame of the futon, but I don't know what it is. You might try just tying or wiring them to the frame, first, to see how that feels.

John H

Second Unit
I would probably mount the transducers to the underside of the queen-size futon which is in the middle of the listening area. It is very heavy, and has a metal frame. I would mount them to an MDF board or something.
I am not sure a pair of Aura's would be sufficient for a (heavy as stated) queen size futon. Yes, mounting them to a board and then attaching to the frame is the recommended mounting method.

I have been using tactile transducers to activate a queen size adjustable bed in my bedromm based theater for 4-5 years. I started with an array of 8 RBH FX-80 units. (ultra high performace Aura's) I used these for about a year and replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F's and a year later upgraded to their Platinum models.

For the last 2 years I have been using a pair of original Buttkickers.

John

Geno

Supporting Actor
I agree that the bass shakers can't substitute for a sub. In fact, using the shakers may make you feel the lack of a sub more acutely, because there will be notes you can feel but not hear.
i think this is sooooo true. too many ppl IMHO want too feel the bass rather than hear the bass and some cant tell the difference. id stick with the sub

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the responses! I have decided to live with non-ideal placement of the sub (and play with the phase switch) until I can afford to have a decent sub and *then* add tactile transducers (the cost of which I have found is more than I originally expected).

For the record, I have never owned a lava lamp ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks