What's new

Aura shaker, versis the Aura Pro shaker? (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
First off I know that the shaker thing has been done to death but I could not find the answer I was looking for.

What I was wonting to find out is if anyone could tell me if the pro shakers are that much better the the standard. I'm looking to put some in both my love seat & sofa. The love seat is not a big issue as it is mostly used by my boys & friends when they come over. But the sofa I wont a good reaction from. But heres the issue I wont to do it as cheap as possible so thats where I was thinking of the standard shakers. Seeing how PE has both of them for a awesome deal I could get 4 of the pros for a 100 bucks, or 6 of the standard for 90. What I was thinking is if I went with the pro I would do 2 or 3 in the sofa & whats left in the love seat. Or if I used the standard I could put 4 in the sofa & 2 in the love seat & be saving 10 bucks. What ever I do I will be running them with the PE 250watt plate amp.
I have had no experience at all with the shakers so I don't know if this is just over kill or if it would be just what I'm looking for. I'm mainly just going by what I have seen done as far as how many per seat. Looking at the specs for either, the pro has more force at 30lb peak versus 20lb peak for the standard, witch I would assume has to do some with the more power handling of the pro. But everything else looks to be the same Fs: 40 & a frequency response of 20 to 100hz & both have a normal impedance of 4ohm.
So dose anyone have experience with either or both of them that can clue me in on the better buy or the most shake for the buck.
Thanks for any help.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I haven't used the Pro so I can only relate my experience. I have a La-Z-Boy recliner sofa (3 seats). I put 3 shakers on the wooden frame near the bottom, not on the seats themselves. I put another 3 shakers on my theater seats which on mounted on a raised platform behind the sofa. These I had to mount directly to the seats for lack of a better place. In addition to the 80 Hz crossover from my A/V receiver I used 50 Hz FMODs in front of the amp for the shakers because I'm only interested in the very low frequency effect, not constant shaking. I'm sure the same thing could be accomplished with a low band pass filter but the FMODs were easier. I get plenty of the effect I was after with this arrangement. I prefer the effect on the sofa over the theater seats because of the distribution of the vibration. Mounting them on the seats is too localized for my taste. I really can't imagine having four Standard shakers on a sofa let alone four Pros. It may be more cost effective to use two Pros on a sofa if you can mount them to the frame rather than the seats to get the distribution right. Just a suggestion.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I am using 2 aura bass shaker pros on my couch. I mounted them on 3/4 inch plywood and mounted the plywood to the rear brace of the sofa. They are powered with 80 watts in series with 50hz FMODS for the crossover. Plenty of shake for me. Go with the Pros. I sold my standand shakers before getting the pros.

Matt

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I use six (6) modified (shaved spider and weighted) standard models on a futon. I've found that by using more of them, I can get the effect I want without pushing them to hard.
JP

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Tim are you using the Aura shakers or another brand? Matt How much difference was noticed with the pro verses the standard? And how many of the standard shakers were you using?

On a side note or rather Rant, I'm now stuck with no sub for a least a few good days. I was playing some music right after I first started this post earlier and noticed the sub was bottoming out every so often, witch it has never done at all. So I started to check things out & pushed the driver in a couple of times only to hear a scraping noise witch sounded almost like a voice coil rubbing. So out came the sub only to discover that the spider has ripped more than half way from where it is glued at the voice coil, & tore about half way across to the edge of the spider. But I did call PE & they gave me a clam # as it is warrantied for 5yr so as long as they can replace or fix it I really don't mind. But its going to drive me nuts not having my sub for however long.
It must of been getting jealous of all this talk of bass shakers;)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I bought six of the Aura Standard from Parts Express before the big price drop on the Pros.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Jim, what kind of results did you get out of modifying your shakers? I have seen someone else mention doing some mods to the pros but it was quite awhile back.

Tim I got to ask do you ever find yourself wondering how the pros would have been? Or are you pretty happy with what you have? I only ask because I can never stop trying to go one better, but with the shakers I don't wont something over bearing. I like you had said only wont them for the deeper bass effects like around 45 to 50hz & down.
I just wont to be able to watch things like U571, Saving Privet Ryan, Or Black Hawk Down & feel it when a bomb goes off. But I dont wont to feel a thud in my back when someone is popin off a .22
The only thing that has me leaning toward the pro is thinking that they may be more adapted to really low stuff like in TLOTR. I don't wont to get something that going to wimp out on the really bass heavy titles.
Thanks once again for everyones Patience with all my annoying questions, I just wont to get the best deal the first time around. From the way it sounds so far I think the standard shakers may be all I need. I just wont to be sure of it.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I owned 4 standard aura shakers. I am much happier with the 2 pros. I problem that I suspect may have occured with the 4 shakers is cancellation and the fact that the shakers cannot take as much power. I have not modified them but will probably do so at a later time. One Note: Do not expect to use the shakers with music.

Matt

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
If anyone wants pictures and my review of the modified shakers, just PM me. I've opened both of the versions, and they have the same internal parts. I have to assume that the large external case (heatsink) on the Pro version allows for the higher power rating. Mine are used strictly for movies (crossed over at 50hz and with a seperate volume control off of the LFE channel.) Both versions are cheap enough to experiment with, but I will say that the mods are worth it (much less "high" frequency noise, and more "shake and rumble").
JP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks