Aura Interactor game vests (remove bass shakers use for HT?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Sep 30, 2002.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Hey guys, I did a search and saw these vests mentioned once.
    How are the bass shakers in these vests?
    I figure they have less punch than the more expensive shakers but could you just use more of them?
    Here is a site selling the vests for 20$
    http://www.oshealtd.com/interact.htm
    They do not manufacture these anymore so you can get them cheap.
    Are they easy to remove from the vests? Are there two per vest?
    Do you think it would be better to buy 3 of these vests for 6 shakers for 60$, or should I just spend the money on the shakers made for home theater?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    They are equivalent to the cheaper HT bass shaker offerings. It's fairly simple to remove the shaker and attach it to your seating. You will want at least one shaker per seating position (unlike a Buttkicker which would need 1-2 per seating area).

3. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

they are easy to remove. you just need a torx driver/bit which costs a couple bucks from any hardware store if you don't have one. I can find out the exact size bit if you need (think it's 25, or the size below that). oh, and a small socket bit to hold one of the nuts while unscrewing (though you can just wedge a scredriver in the hole). anyway, it will take you a matter of minutes to do it - very easy.

I tested one before mounting it to my couch. was great when I just threw it under the cushion, and even when it was just sitting on the coffee table. once I mounted it to the wood frame of the couch, I lost a lot of the effect. it's just not shaking it much. it's on the front frame, about where your calfs are as this was the best mounting area. might try to move it and see if that improves things.

4. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Well this is what I am worried about. These shakers out of the vests sound like they are just not strong enough to really vibrate a piece of furniture.
    Has any one else out there had any success with these vest shakers providing enough umph to shake a single seat or chair?
    I realize that I would probably have to use more of these vest shakers vs the pro ones, but thats ok. If they can not even shake a single seat they are not worth my time.

5. Jimmie Lee

Jimmie Lee Extra

I have two of the shakers mounted to my recliner. I tried only one first, but due to the location of the mount, I felt it more on one side of the chair than the other. This imbalance bothered me. So, I mounted a second shaker to the other side of the chair. This improved the balance and the effect. However, I was not satisfied with the amplifier that was supplied with the vest, so I used a small 2 channel 80 watt amp that I had laying around. This improved the effect dramatically. I do not use the shakers all of the time. I typically use them when I want to watch a film, or when I want to just relax and listen to some good music. It really does add to the overall experience. And it is fun to watch the reaction of guests who have no advance notice that the chair that they are sitting in is alive and kicking.

6. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Jimmie, great!
    So the amplifier that the shakers come with is most certainly the problem for Lou.
    You are saying that using an old receiver or other amp used for theater/music drives these things enough to make them worthwhile? Do you think 20$ per vest is a good price and does each vest contain one or two shakers?

7. Jimmie Lee

Jimmie Lee Extra

Darrin,

Each vest is equipped with one shaker. $20 is a good price. I purchased mine from ebay for slightly below that amount. However, at one time you could get them for less than $10, but due to their recent popularity the prices have increased somewhat. But for $20, you really can't go wrong.

The amp that is supplied with the vest is probably workable, but it obviously isn't high tech. You don't need lots of power to operate the shakers, but I found that it was much easier to fine tune the output with a better amp. An old receiver or amp would do just fine.

I just split the sub feed from my processor into the amp which is placed in the rack with my other gear. Then I ran 16 gauge speaker wire from the amp to the shakers. The amp has a loudness control as well as bass and treble controls, which help in making the fine adjustments. I have the volume control set at approximately 30% which gives the shakers a pretty good workout. Keep in mind that, at least for me, you don't want the shakers working constantly, but only when the source material calls for it. On a film that has very little low bass, the shakers may not shake at all. But they really shine on material that contains a lot of explosions, gunfire and other special effects. They also do a good job of complimenting music with a good bass line. After you live with the shakers for awhile, you can adjust them to your personal preference.

Mounting the shakers correctly to your furniture is also key in achieving good results. My recliner was not mounting friendly, so I had to make some small modifications to the frame. Just make sure that the metal mounting flange of the shakers are securely attached to the wood frame of the chair/sofa, and that the center protruding nut on the shaker is not restricted. Otherwise, the shaker will not be able to produce the desired effect.

You may want to experiment with one shaker first to ensure that you like the effect. Also, one may provide plenty of shaking power depending on amplification and mounting considerations.

If you decide to go with two shakers, wire them in series to avoid putting too much stress on your amp.

I hope this helps your decision making process. The shakers are really a lot of fun, and going the vest route is a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

8. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

9. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Whew, ok I guess I'll go for it.
    One shaker per vest, well that would require 4 vests at least for me. Eighty bucks, I guess you can not do any better than that.
    Thanks guys.