What's new

Aura Bass Shakers (1 Viewer)

JamesDrake

Agent
My receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR500 and it appears to have a subwoofer output on the DVD section and a subwoofer preout by itself. Right now I have the sub hooked up to the preout. Do I need to switch it to the DVD sub out in order to be able to attach the bass shakers? Or am I just screwed?

HELP!!!

If you go to onkyo.com and look up TX-SR500 you will be able to see the rear view of my receiver and see exactly what I am talking about.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
My "standard" bass shakers are set up...

Four of 'em, mounted in two 8-ohm series, connected paralleled to a 100 watt plate amp (4-ohm final load).

They're on 12x18 pine boards, screwed in good, and the boards are very securely mounted on the bottom of the couch. Whole damn couch shakes. If you're getting a buzzing, take your stuff apart, and then drill some new holes and put it back together.

If I were setting up again...

I'd buy a five-channel "el cheapo" HT receiver, and run each 8-ohm "unit" of two shakers on a channel - that's right. 10 shakers. Each seating location will get one under the seat and behind the seat. I'd split the signal from the LFE channel into stereo, and then use whatever "5-6 channel stereo" function that the el-cheapo has. "Volume" can then be controlled via the el cheapo's remote, assuming that it can play down to 30hz or so. There's not a lot of LFE action, and we're talking 50 watts/channel into 8 ohms, so I doubt if I'd run into that many problems... I'd probably use some cheap inductors to act as crossovers, and try to cut at 50hz or so, since the things get REALLY irritating with heavy bass music soundtracks.

JamesDrake

Agent
I had that backwards... I have an Onkyo HT-R500 receiver.

I was also thinking that maybe I could use a Y adaptor or Y cable to Y off to the amp. I plan on getting 2 pairs of the Aura Pros and a 120 or 250 W plate amp from PE.
I figured I could use 2 or 3 of them for the couch and the remaing one(s) for the love seat.

I can't wait!

SamCK

Agent
I'm relatively new at this, so forgive any stupid questions. I'm building a 8 by 4 riser in the back row of my HT (17 feet by 12 feet). I had my sub woofer in teh back corner, but with the riser, I moved it to the front right corner. I'll have a 7 foot couch on top of the riser (made of 2 by 8's, 1/4 inch plywood underneath, stuffed with insullation, and 3/4 plywood, then roofers felt (#15), then another 3/4 inch plywood, then carpet - no room for the sub woofer. Is this structure too sturdy to have the sub in it, and what about bass shakers installed in it. Would it be better to install them under the couch. Can I split my sub wofer output on my receiver, and run it to the sub in teh front right, and to the rear right - where the riser is. Do the Auro Pros only need the output, and an electrical oulet to run the amp, or is there something else I'll need wired. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks