Aura Bass Shakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marc*F, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

What are peoples thoughts on the Aura Bass Shaker modules as a cheap way to add to a home theatre experience? Peoples experience with them?

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Great way to inexpensively add a new dimension to HT/movie watching/feeling.......

I added mine a couple of years ago and wouldn't do without them now. Most of my friends who "felt" them have them too.

3. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

(DonnyD) What amp are you using?

4. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

I am seriously looking to add a pair of bass shakers to my home theater as well. I was looking at a pair of Aura Bass Shaker Pro's in conjunction with a 120 Watt Subwoofer plate amp from Parts Express.

It seems like the best combination for energizing a couch. Lol, I like that way that last sentence sounds.

Any thoughts on this combo?

Regards,

Daniel I

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

(DonnyD) What amp are you using?

Shawn....
    I use a 150w mono amp from Parts Express.... I've set up several shaker systems and always use those great little amps from PE. Never had a failure......Just set'em and forget'em......

6. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

A recomended amp to power the bass shakers are the sub plate amps from PE? What sort of power do they generally need? From what i have read people give them quite a bit....

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Marc..... I've used the 100w PE amps for the regular Auras without a problem and up to the 150w for the pros. I run mine at about 2/3 volume on the PE amp and those shakers get quite violent with my rear sometimes.........

8. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I am using an old 2 channel receiver. Having the remote control ability allows me have a little more control over the effect

9. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

What other varieties of bass shakers are there? From what I have gathered there are the normal Aura Bass Shakers and then the Pros? Also some others, but I want to keep on the cheaper side of things...

10. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yes there are several more to choose from but the Clarks and Buttkicker brand get into significantly more bucks. The Pros are an inexpensive way to get into tactile transducers and do a great job.....Also available from Parts Express....forget exactly how much but somewhere around 50 for a pair.

11. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Yea i saw the pro's on PE for around $25 each, which sub amp should i get? the 120w plate amp too strong or too less? Would 2 bass shakers be enough for a 2 seater sofa?

12. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

just to let everyone know... ive had my aura bass shakers for around 2 years now, and i have really enjoyed them, but lately, they have issues. im not sure if its the amp or if its the shakers. one is buzzing (yes, buzzing), and they just dont have the umph that they used to... plus, they hum sometimes when turned on...

im feeding them with a 60-watt monoblock with gain control. so, driving them moderately for a few years, they can give out.

13. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed the Aura bass shaker pros actually come as a package with an Aura d-class 100watt amp....the amp looks quite compact, anyone know if it actually puts out 100watts and is sufficient?

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The 120w PE amp would be a very good one for ya. Those little Aura amps are a little small IMHO......

On the buzzing/humming Aura, I would check the wiring and assuming that is still ok, I'd check the shaker itself.... although I've not seen one fail, I am sure it is possible.....

15. Sean_Oz

Sean_Oz Extra

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question but how do you hook up the Shakers to a reciever? I know you hook the Shakers to an amp, how does the amp get the signal from the reciever? Do you need to look for anything in particular when buying a receiver to make Shakers work? Thanks for the help!

Sean

16. Marv

Marv Stunt Coordinator

Sean, the signal that goes to the shakers amp comes from the "sub" output on the back of the receiver.

17. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Anybody using 2 Aura Bass Shaker Pro's to energize a sofa. I am wondering if two Pro's are going to be enough. Also I want to have a dispersed effect with these. I hoping attaching these units to the lower frame instead of the seat bottom will cause that effect.

Any suggestions or expereince with this setup?

Thanks for any advice you can provide! [​IMG]

- Daniel

18. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

I am using 2 Aura Bass Shaker Pro's wired in series (8 ohms) in my sofa hooked up to a 80 Watt amp. The amp is set to about 3/4 power and it is more than enough rumble. If I turn it up all the way it is overpowering an unnatural. Be sure to use a crossover. I'm using two 50hz FMODs in series.

19. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Daniel I... Yes two Aura Pros will be enough to shake your couch pretty well...... be sure to attach them to a sturdy part of the couch.....

20. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

I mounted them to the wood of the sofa but was not too happy with the performance. I tied wrapped them to the coild of the bottoms of the cushions