What's new

Aura Bass Shakers on B Channel? (1 Viewer)

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, hoping for some quick input. I saw that Parts Express has the Aura Bass Shakers on sale and may order a pair Friday depending on what you folks say...here's my question:

The shakers are 25w RMS/ 35w Max (4 ohms) , could I use my B channel on my Yamaha RX-V496 (70wpc 8ohms) to run a pair under my main chairs? All my speakers are set to small since I have a pretty good sub, so the reciever should be able to handle the 4 ohm load very well, I just want to know if it will be TOO much power...and if this is the case, could I run 2 shakers per channel to help out?

Final question: Can u "hear" the shakers? I know they are meant to be tactile, but I don't want to be adding "unwanted noise" to my listening enviroment unless its a good thing. Thanks.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Nope.

Unless you can send your LFE signal back into the amp directed to the "b" channel, you're outta luck. Also, if the "b" channel is set to "small," then it won't be outputting low stuff. And it might send the really low stuff to the LFE port anyway - loop! Best/cheapest way to power 'em is to find a used older receiver that'll play down to 20hz. If you can find a "beater" with a remote volume control, that's even better.

I haven't heard mine yet. The couch just quivers...

I'd get two pairs (hey, it'll be the best $60 you'll ever spend on HT atmosphere), hook 'em up as two 8 ohm series, and run 'em off both sides of a Goodwill/Salvation Army 1980s receiver. Use the "aux" port, not the "phono."

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my Fronts can be ran as large with no problems, will the shakers automatically filter out 100hz+? If this is a problem I'm also ordering the 30 Watt Stereo amplifir kit from Parts Express just for a fun little project...any chance I could feed it from my LFE and run the shakers with it?

DarwinU

Grip
I have the Aura Interactor. It's basically a bass shaker mounted inside a strap on backpack, and was marketed towards game console users a few years back.
http://www.oshealtd.com/interact.htm
You can take the backpack apart and pull out the "shaker" unit but I haven't done that yet. I just wrapped the backpack in a towel, stuck it in a pillowcase and just lean against it in my chair :D
It comes with an amplifier unit with a built in "crossover" of sorts. Not sure of it's freq. response, it's a little knob adjustable from 1 - 10, and another knob for volume control. Personally, I split the subwoofer output to get the effects.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for the alternate idea Darwin, but I'm mainly interested in the shakers onsale at Parts Express since I'm making an order there Friday anyway :)

DarwinU

Grip
cool...I'll eventually get around to taking the backpack apart and mounting the shaker unit under my chair. I actually got this as a gift a few years ago and just stored it away, and just recently found it again while cleaning out the storage room :D
my post wasn't intended to be an "alternate" though, purchasewise...I just wanted pass on the suggestion of splitting the subwoofer preout for the bass shakers instead of using the B channel.
good luck

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Would 15 (4 ohm) watts be enough from one of the DIY amps to run these decently?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
It'd be iffyish... I'd want 'em to have a clean signal up to max power, which I could do with either my Marantz or my plate amp. Remember - it's better to have too much power (and not use it all...) than to have too little, and clip/distort.

Buy the things - you'll find an amp sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks