Aura Bass Shaker Amp Recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Mar 17, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im thinking of purchasing about 4 of the bass shakers and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent amp?

here are the specs:
    Power handling: 25 watts RMS/35 watts max * Impedance: 4 ohms * Usable Frequency response: 20 to 100 Hz * Fs: 42 Hz * Force Nominal: 10 lbs. per ft.

2. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend saving some money and using just about any old amp you have laying around.
    I am using an old Kenwood Pro-Logic reciever I had around that I absolutely can not stand to listern to for movies or music but it serves the bass shakers just fine.
    Steve

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Same here...using an old Pioneer stereo receiver to power 4 Pro shakers.

4. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I third that recommendation.I'm using a old sony matrix surround reciever to power my shakers.

5. Steve Marsh

Keith
    To build on what I said earlier almost any amp will do but...
    You will need to find a method of low pass filtering for the shakers. Without a low pass filter you will find your butt shaking to peoples voices etc which completely destroys any benefit from the shaker.
    I am using an X-30 from a paradigm sub.

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I will be feeding the external amp from my sub-out, so the low-pass is unnecessary...

I personally dont have an old receiver laying around. How would one AudioSource mono block work? Do I really need a stereo amp? Arent the bass shakers wired serially??

7. Steve Marsh

The mono block will work fine but depending on what the bass management is like on your reciever you may find the cutoff freq for the bass too high.
    Most recievers route all below 100 hz to the sub and some are @ 80 but either way that will be too high to get the most out of the shakers.

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I thought the Aura Shakers had a Usable Frequency response: 20 to 100 Hz according to there website...

My Denon 5800 has an lfe rolloff at 80Hz should be fine...

Are you all wiring the shakers serially? Is the effect really that dramatic or do I need to spend a little more for the higher end ones... Im only interested in the effect during movies I dont want the effect while casually listening to music...

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

At one point I was using an old Sony PL receiver to power two bass shakers. Just about any amp will be able to push 25 watts into 4 ohms. The good this is even if the amp is clipping you have no way of telling[​IMG]

10. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

If you're going to order the bass shakers from Parts Express, why not order this amp from them while you're at it? It's what I'm using to power my bass shakers and it works great! What's especially nice is that it has a sealed enclosure so you don't have to worry about the electronics getting damaged if you decide to place it under an endtable or something. Just make sure to wire two each of the shakers in series, then wire those two sets in parallel and the amp will see 4 ohms.

11. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Why do I need to pair them serially? Cant I just run all four serially from one mono amp? Or will that overload the amp?

12. Steve Marsh

It really depends on how many shakers you use as to how you wire them. You will need to try to keep the impedance within the safe range of whatever amp you use.
    I am running 8 shakers in my system in a series/parrallel config and have had no trouble. So that is four shakers per channel.
    The bass shakers come with some simple circuit diagrams to help you.

13. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator